Lapierre 2012/2013 Superlight Cyclocross Carbon or Crux E5

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

weigs

by weigs

I've been on the lookout for a good frameset to build up for cyclocross. I have a set of tubeless rim wheels which I'm planning to use, so it's going to be a cantilever frame. I've found 2 frames my size, both with with compromises.

I stumbled across a 2012 Superlight Cyclocross Lapierre frameset. The frame is canti and disc ready, so the rear spacing is 135mm. Unfortunately my wheelset is 130mm. I've heard this can be dealt with either by a) just tighten it down, squeezing the frame b)2.5mm spacers on each side of skewer c) 5mm spacers on non drive side. Which way works best? Is dealing with this going to be more trouble than it's worth?

Another option I have is a similarly priced Crux E5 canti. I just don't like the aesthetics of that bike as much, and I'd imagine it's a few grams heavier than the Lapierre. Any opinions on what will end up making a nicer/lighter bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Lapierre should have 2nd dropouts for 130mm. That's only good solution.

squeezing is not and option unless is steel frame. same spacers - you'll need relace ( maybe (tiny chance) you can re-center if spokes length and spoke/niple thread length will allow… 5mm is a lot ) wheels to compensate offset caused by 5mm spacer on NDS. IMO that's not an option. Dropouts change ONLY ( for me ).

if bike is new - MUST have "bits" for both : canti/ disc. If used…. it can have or not.

I have to agree- every year Crux look more and more ugly … but it's really nice bike ( if you like looong frames with looow bottom bracket ) - it's more gravel grinder than cx -er .

I know CF frames weigh same as alu crux ;) alu is not issue, problem is in full length housing - every housing (FD,RD and rear brake ) - that is more than material weight difference. long chainstays, HT angle and 45mm rake , low bottom bracket make it feel "sluggish" .

if you prefer stability over reactivity - go crux. overall is really nice piece of equipment.

However for the money are better deals
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

weigs

by weigs

stormur wrote:Lapierre should have 2nd dropouts for 130mm. That's only good solution.

squeezing is not and option unless is steel frame. same spacers - you'll need relace ( maybe (tiny chance) you can re-center if spokes length and spoke/niple thread length will allow… 5mm is a lot ) wheels to compensate offset caused by 5mm spacer on NDS. IMO that's not an option. Dropouts change ONLY ( for me ).

if bike is new - MUST have "bits" for both : canti/ disc. If used…. it can have or not.

I have to agree- every year Crux look more and more ugly … but it's really nice bike ( if you like looong frames with looow bottom bracket ) - it's more gravel grinder than cx -er .

I know CF frames weigh same as alu crux ;) alu is not issue, problem is in full length housing - every housing (FD,RD and rear brake ) - that is more than material weight difference. long chainstays, HT angle and 45mm rake , low bottom bracket make it feel "sluggish" .

if you prefer stability over reactivity - go crux. overall is really nice piece of equipment.

However for the money are better deals

Thanks for the info - I'm not sure how the second set of dropouts would work though.

Anyway - I caved and ordered the trek crockett in pink. Budgets be damned.

F45

by F45

The Focus mares CX is the lightest canti frameset.