1 x 10 Shimano with Disc - what are the options?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Subira

by Subira

Just picked up a second Felt FX - I want to build this 1 x 10, just to make it a simple as possible.

I ran the 1 x 10 on my old Crux frame and it worked OK, but now I'm running discs I'm not sure what the best set up would be.

It's was thinking I would use the existing 105 shifter with the 9 speed XT medium cage, then add the TRP HY/RD calipers. I have a Cane Creek left brake lever. Shifts well, and I know the TRPs work well as I have them on the other bike.

Alternative that a friend suggested on a group ride today, use the RS685 shifter / caliper set up, but drop a gear from the cassette and shim it so it runs just 10 speed. Gives me the option to go to 1 x 11 when I replace the existing wheelsets.

Any other suggestions recommendations out there?

afraptor22

by afraptor22

I had good luck running SRAM 10-speed road with an X9 type 2 mountain dérailleur. You get a rear with a clutch that can handle an 11-36 XTR cassette. Pretty sure Rival or Force 10 shifters will work.

I ran 1x10 with a 6700 shifter and an XT non clutched rear and it was just ok, not great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

9x12man

by 9x12man

Sorry to hijack slightly @Subira but I am debating between the Specialized Crux Pro Carbon Disc and a Felt F1X. Seeing as you own a variation of both, any comments on the 2 frames? For what its worth I will run a SRAM CX-1 setup. From the discussions I have had with various bike shops, the consensus seems to be that this is the most seamless 1x setup (with discs).

Subira

by Subira

No problem with the hi-jacking.

I have two Felt's, an F1X and an F4X, I raced the F4X this past cross season. Then bought the F1X to build up as a pure CX racer and the F4X is promoted to a gravel bike as its Di2. I rode the F4X in the Rapha Hell of the North ride in the UK, 100km Paris - Roubaix tribute and I'm happy to say that the bike was perfect. I just put some Challenge P-R clinchers on and it comfortable on and off road. Only downside withe the Felt in the cross season was clogging on the back wheel, in a really muddy race that saw lots of mechanicals, I put it down to the bigger Rear dérailleur and the 33 rear tyre. - this is why I'm going with the 1 x 10 setup and have dropped down to 32s. I know the Felt is not everyone's favorite but I believe it's a dark horse that gets overlooked but is a real gem!

I bought the alloy Crux as my first CX bike, rode three seasons on it, the Paris - Roubiax Sportive (170k version) twice, plus one miserable 3 Peaks. It has been a tough and reliable buy, I drilled it to tAke the Di2 internal and just build it up 2 x 11 for my teenage son - it's a real workhorse. He uses it at his everything bike, on or off road, going to the shops, club rides etc - ridden hard and put away wet