Best Pads for Disc Brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

What type of pad, compound, etc. will provide the most stopping power on disc brakes?

I am trying to go with 140 rotors and the TRP HYRD stock pads are not quite up to the task.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Which rotors are you using? I have had good results recently with the new Swiss Stop 15 Disc e pads with Shimano IceTech rotors with the TRP Spyres, so would think that would also be a good combo for the Hyrd calipers as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jeffy

by jeffy

i have had good experience with nukeproof semi-metalic

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... lsrc=aw.ds

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ms6073 wrote:Which rotors are you using?

Sram Centerline rotors.

My application is strictly road so superfine modulation is not critical. What I really need is the ability to lock up the front. Right now on a steep hill the bike continues to roll a bit more than it should. If a car pulls out in front of me or someone crashes in front of me, I want that fastest possible emergency stopping. If I can't get it with 140 mm I will have to go back to 160 mm rotors but I like the clean mount of the caliper without the spacer that the 160's require.

That Nukeproof product looks good. Looking at the company website they do not make it clear whether faster stopping would result from the semi-metallic or the sintered option. Anybody know?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

You should be able to easily lock the wheels with any pads once they're properly worn in, how old are your current pads? any chance they're glazed?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The pads are new but well bedded in. I live at the top of a 20% hill. Every ride begins with multiple firm brake applications. I could feel the pads bed in and reach their maximum performance after a few repeats on the hill. I doubt their glazed.

ms6073

by ms6073

Sounds like Jester in Austin. Although that sounds like a nice way to start the ride, I would not be looking forward to having to ride back up after 3-5 hours on the road. :mrgreen:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It's my cool down lol. Only about 250 metres but that's still nasty after a hard ride. The house has a awesome view though 8)