TRP Parabox R vs Hope V-twin cable hydro brakes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ajh

by ajh

I just came off two seasons with a TRP Parabox R brakeset. I purchased this to get around the issues I had with mechanical disc wear which would leave me without brakes after Muddy CX races.

The TRP Parabox are pretty easy to set and bleed as they use mineral oil and the TRP kit fo bleeding is pretty cheap. I used them with SRAM Red 2013 levers. My first impression of the brakes before bed in was horrible. They would barely stop me with a full fist on the lever and the lever to the bars. I then did a proper bed in and that got them to stop me eventually but it was never lock up the wheels good. Much of this was due to a lot of free travel in the brakes before contact with the disc. To address this I did what the manual said not to and adjusted the cable to bring the pads closer to the disc. The issue with this was the brakes no longer were able to properly adjust for wear as it would cut off the reservoir. I could never get around this and just let out the adjustment every so often to get the fluid levels up in the system to adjust for wear and then put everything back so I could stop again.

I sold the bike that had these brakes and purchased Hope V-twin instead. These brakes are a little harder to adjust as they use DOT fluid but it took about the same time to install. They do allow for the stem to be lower as the mount is only a thin piece of metal which is bendable so if you need a low stack height then this is also the better unit compared to the one above and the Parabox R is lower than the Parabox. The pads are so close to the disc that I actually have put free play in the cables by making them a touch loose so that I can get the pad to contact at my preferred place. If you like your brakes contact to be almost immediate then these are again the brakes for you. My first impression before bed in was incredibly happy. My first break in stop almost locked up the wheels with only two finger braking. Now I have them bed in about 70% and it is easy to modulate and lock with only a single finger.

Overall if you need cable actuated hydro brakes I would go for the Hopes as they are much much better than the TRPs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

Also people should look into the TRP HY/RD-brakes which eliminate the need for the box underneath the stem and includes the cylinder in the brake caliper. I posted a short review here previously. Guessing TRP doesn't sell a lot of Paraboxes now as the HY/RDs have been out for a year.

ajh

by ajh

the reason for the parabox is to move the resevoir away from the unit and also to get rid of the long cables. They are about as close as you can get to full hydro without the pricetag.

Have they fixed the same issue I had on my parabox on the HY/RD as I ready many reviews which stated that you had to adjust the cable on that system as well to get the pad contact in the proper place. If you do this on any hyro brake you essencially cut of the resevoir or at least severely limit its ability to adjust fluid. I also read that instead of adjusting the cable many were adjusting the placement of the piston by adjusting the allen on the rod which goes into the actuation lever. this was another way to do the same thing so again it was the same issue.