SRAM 11-speed road shifting XO1 rear derailleur on 10-42

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

afraptor22

by afraptor22

So I'm home with a separated shoulder from a MTB crash this weekend and i figured I'd play around with some SRAM x1 parts. I took the CX1 derailleur and Red22 shifter off my cross bike and modified the XO1 (11-speed) rear derailleur on my MTB. I removed the ratio plate and cable barrel adjuster from the CX1 and set it aside. I removed the ratio plate and pulley wheel from the XO1 and installed the CX1 parts, almost exact fit, but fine for a quick test. I then ran a short section of housing and a cable from the Red22 shifter to the hybrid XO1/CX1 derailleur and it shifts great over the full range of the 10-42 cassette. Why...because a 10-42 cassette would look awesomely strange on a CX bike and a 44 up front would give it amazing gear range. I haven't done a weight comparison yet, but a Red22 with XX1 parts would be much lighter than CX1 with better range..just much more expensive.

I usually race CX with a 38 or 40t CX1 and 11-32 out back. For my road bike it's 50/34 and 11-28, so a 46t to 10-42 would give me both a higher top and lower climb gear. All I need to do now is convert my Iron Cross hub to an XD driver and buy a STUPID expensive XX1 cassette.

I have the video on my public drop box and can add some pictures as well, but i can't post them here due to my lack of 30 posts. PM me if you want the link.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gospastic

by gospastic

This sounds interesting. I'd like to see it.

afraptor22

by afraptor22

Working on getting enough posts to post the movie link. Here's derailleur pictures.

What I pulled off the XO1

The test setup

stripped CX1

afraptor22

by afraptor22

I'm in the process of building up Raleigh RXC frame that the Red shifter came off of and trying to decide what group to run on it. I'm not set on keeping the frame so it might get a Force/X.9 1x10 setup or the Force22/CX1 setup. I'd really like to try this road MTN hybrid setup on my wife's commuter bike. Decisions..decisions. The problem with this setup is that it leaves you with a CX1 derailleur with X-actuation ratio...which only seems to work with thumb or grip shifters, not sure where I can re-purpose that guy yet.

djconnel

by djconnel

The 2x11 rear derailleurs are dual parallologram since they need to rapidly pick of effective chain length changes from front shifts while 1x11 don't and therefore can use a clutch for improved control and can be set up to track the cassette without the dual parallelogram. So it makes sense to me to stick with a 1x11 rear derailleur. You can always tune down the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afraptor22

by afraptor22

True, the X.9 isn't ideal for 1x11, but it works fine for a backup bike and keeps similar function and wheel swaps for a mid race change. I used the X.9 with Red 22 levers for a couple races and the upgrade to a CX1 derailleur wasn't noticable.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice hack!

The 10-42 cassette's smallest cog difference is 2 teeth and then it makes some pretty huge jumps as you move up the cassette. I'm not sure it'd be my pick for smooth road riding!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

afraptor22

by afraptor22

Ya i think the gear jumps will be pretty big, but my wife usually leaves it in the big ring all the time anyway. Should have the new frame by the 1st and built up with weights shortly after with the 44-10/42 1x11 commuter.

jooo

by jooo

I don't see it being much of an issue. Apart from the 10-12 jump (which is 20%), the spacing is pretty normal. IMO if you're shifting into the 10 constantly on a commuter, you've probably got the wrong sized 'ring or maybe 1x11 just isn't great for your terrain. If you're not racing there's also no problem with casually spinning a slightly lower gear than what you'd use in an ideal world.

The maximum jump apart from that is 16.7% which is pretty much on par with countless 8/9 speed commuters and close to most 10 speed MTB cassettes. A pretty normal 11-36 still has an 18.2% jump for 11-13.

Scarpa

by Scarpa

I have just ordered the Sram spare part 11.7518.029.000 X01/DH/X1 Rear Derailleur Cable Pulley and Guide Kit but this is the same like the original xx1 Kit. So what i have to change?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Now if we could make this work with DA shifters I would be keen ;)
Using Tapatalk

afraptor22

by afraptor22

Scarpa wrote:I have just ordered the Sram spare part 11.7518.029.000 X01/DH/X1 Rear Derailleur Cable Pulley and Guide Kit but this is the same like the original xx1 Kit. So what i have to change?

You would need the cable guide from a CX1 derailleur and the triangle plate the cable wraps around after that. I haven't seen either of these for sale yet, I had to strip them off a CX1.

Scarpa

by Scarpa

So the kid Sram spare part 11.7518.029.000 X01/DH/X1 Rear Derailleur Cable Pulley and Guide Kit is not necessary ? Just the CX1 triangle - but no one sell it :-) and at least it is not for sale as spare part?

afraptor22

by afraptor22

Ya, the CX1 triangle is really all you need since it's the part that determines the derailleur cable pull ratio. The barrel adjuster is a nice to have, or run an in-line adjuster.

patstar

by patstar

Sweet hack!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com