Lightening my commuter hybrid.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thomas125

by Thomas125

First post here. I've got a Charge Grater 3.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=gTb3VOS4I8L_UJ2egjA&url=http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/grater-3&ved=0CFEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFGHhLbOrHGY3fC-J22Cm-FZEdcNQ&sig2=p5cOmTU_UzUP3WM8sgu15w

Its 12kg stock and I'm looking to put it on a diet. I want to add a rack and a rack pack to replace my backpack.

I think I can save 500 grams swapping out tubes and tyres. The bar needs trimming down as I can get it through the shed door at present :!:

I can chop the seatpost and I want to swap the garish uncomfy grips for some black foam ones. I think 600 to 700 gram saving from all of the above is doable.

Lightweight chain and replacemnt from qr would save a bit too I think.

I know its never going to be a featherweight bike but its good fun to ride and the alfine is very low maintenance. checks the dots line up and give the chain a quick wipe and lube at the weekend.

What do you think of my list and is there anything else I could do. Obviously still has to be a practical commuter but can hopefully make the 600ft elevation a bit easier.

Marin

by Marin

Getting the best tires for your type of riding, along with light tubes, is probably the best mod you can do to any bike (after making sure your fit is dialed in).

I wouldn't focus on the weight too much, you won't feel the difference anyway. Just upgrade to improve functionality or aesthetics, and choose parts that aren't heavier than the ones you are replacing.

Nice bike, got any pictures?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thomas125

by Thomas125

I'll see if I can get a couple posted up once it's light again.

I like it the pearlescent paint job is ace. :-)

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The quick easy weight savings would indeed be switching the chain for a dura ace/XTR version (make sure it’s alfine compatible) and switching the tyres for some of the folding Continental tyres that still have puncture protection something like a 4Seasons or the folding Gatorskins. You could also lose a little weight on the brake levers, I can’t quite see that they are but some 2 finger levers would save a few grams.

As you’re running alfine, you’re not going to see huge weight savings from lighter wheels, that geared hub is always going to weigh a ton!

Carbon post and bars will save a few grams but the gram per £ ratio isn’t great.

You can shave a couple of hundred grams with a new crank and BB, not sure if that bike is running a MTB or road chain-line but switching the square taper BB and trutavit crank to something like a SRAM Force crank with GXP BB would certainly lighten the load. Again not a cheap option though
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Thomas125

by Thomas125

Brakes and levers are Shimano Alivio. I'm definitely planning a future upgrade on these as I want more stopping power on some of the steeper roads here.

Crank and BB are truativ powerspline with a conondale 2 wedge eccentric. Chain is a KMC 8 speed rust beater.

I quite fancy the kmc 9 speed gold chain when this one's stretched out.

Thomas125

by Thomas125

Picture as promised:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

houzik

by houzik

Having a full modded cannondale bad boy, with everything but the frame changed with lightweight parts, I propose you to start with tubes and tires and then seat-seatpost-bars with than order....more than 1kg gains.
A carbon (chinese) fork could save you another 0.5kg...
Don't mess with the drivetrain from the beginning considering the cost/weight ratio