Losing Weight on a 2015 Ridley X-Ride 20 Disc

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

allenpg

by allenpg

I got my wife a Ridley X-Ride 20 Disc for our anniversary. It's a 41cm frame and weighs in at a hair under 21 lbs. I know it's aluminum, but looking for places to drop weight. The Shimano CX31 wheels are one place. I know I can build up a 1500g CX disc wheelset, which will save a pound right there. Any other ideas? The bike is Rival/Force, which isn't bad. I can probably save another 100g-200g by swapping to carbon seatpost, handlebars, and a lighter crankset. This is her first CX bike, so a good value stock. Thanks!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridle ... -BLA-S48CM

-Pete

spookyload

by spookyload

Other than the saddle, you have hit most everything. Tubeless will save a few grams too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

X_Ride frame is not so heavy. I know heavier carbon frames ;)

On "stock" Ridley's saddle, seatpost, stem and handlebar are heavy. Really heavy. Here you can save a lot : IMO 350g . 2nd thing is crankset. Going for f.e. Rotor and NoQ rings save next 200g.

Wheelset - tires combo is next on list…. Going to Challenge Grifo ( most universal ) and Challenge Cross latex inner's will save you another 280-300g . Wheels- biggest cost , good and cx suitable 1600g disc brake wheelset is about 600$ , will save 300-400g (?)

Rival is not bad, but is not light either.

Above you have 600+- g "saved"/ without wheelset change / . Ridley sells framesets , so easier , more financially efficient way was to build it from scratch, now it's bit to late :( .

My X-ride ( size 54 CANTI ) with "heavy" everyday wheels (1720g) -build to survive all imaginable- weight is around ( after some changes from initial build ) 8300g , 7900g on tubulars(alu)… so considering disc frame ( + to weight ) and smaller size ( minus to weight ) 17.5-18 lbs is VERY doable . Just needs money :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

allenpg

by allenpg

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of going with frameset only, but the build was a good deal for the price. If the bike doesn't work out for her, I didn't put much money or effort into building it. We can upgrade parts over time. I build my own wheels, so that's an easy one. I can also look for component close out, etc. She's far from racing cross, where she would definitely want a 18 lbs bike over a 20 lbs bike...;)

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Bars, stem, seatpost, saddle.

Wheels.

None of that even needs to be carbon. Just good quality aluminum will work fine and be much lighter.

Excel Sports has 3T ARX team and pro stems for really cheap right now. They are excellent. Light and stiff. The 3T rotundo pro bars or some of their compact bends are really nice too.

All Ritchey WCS would be great.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

Its true that it doesnt have to be carbon and it will save you some money. I was going to also rec the Ritchey WCS stuff which is a good price for the weight.

Seatpost you can do a thomson masterpiece which is as light as carbon, lighter than some carbon seatposts and its excellent. It doesnt come cheap but you can find good deals on ebay.

allenpg

by allenpg

I just got a Stan's Iron Cross Team wheelset for her bike, which is only 1520g. I'll also look for close out components for the bars and seatpost. Overall, the Ridley frame is working out great for her. The fit is close to her road bike, but with wider bars. I agree a carbon frame would be great, but Ridley has been in the CX game for awhile.

allenpg

by allenpg

I just weighed my wife's bike with pedals, bottle cages, etc. It came in at about 19.75 ozs. I'll lose a few hundred grams with a new crankset. Ironically, the saddle she prefers is 300+ grams, but sometimes you have to compromise fit for weight. She's not racing so weight isn't that big of a deal. Most importantly, she loves the Ridley handling and fit. For her, she has already set several Strava QOMs with her CX bike vs her MTB. Thanks for the advice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com