New Trek Crockett (Major Updates - 10/3/2018, Di2)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

afraptor22

by afraptor22

Maybe a set of Stan's Iron Cross...they have been very reliable for me and very light. Or build something off a Novatec D771/D772 hubset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Decisions, decisions...

With Trek's new announcement (http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/18/tre ... ew-colors/) comes this little nugget: "neutral black full carbon forks with thru axles will be available as aftermarket upgrades for anyone who wants to update their current ride." Trek claims they're 120g lighter, too!

Now, here's the dilemma, should I keep my current setup and upgrade to some DT Swiss RWS QR skewers, and try to get close to the performance of the thru-axle, or go full gas, get the upgraded fork and paint it to match? I'd have to order end caps for my wheels, but I don't think that's a big deal.

Ideas?

weigs

by weigs

Does anyone know what diameter front derailleur seatpost clamp you need for the crockett frame?

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

FIJIGabe wrote:Decisions, decisions...

With Trek's new announcement (http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/03/18/tre ... ew-colors/) comes this little nugget: "neutral black full carbon forks with thru axles will be available as aftermarket upgrades for anyone who wants to update their current ride." Trek claims they're 120g lighter, too!

Now, here's the dilemma, should I keep my current setup and upgrade to some DT Swiss RWS QR skewers, and try to get close to the performance of the thru-axle, or go full gas, get the upgraded fork and paint it to match? I'd have to order end caps for my wheels, but I don't think that's a big deal.

Ideas?

If I were you I would just keep it as it is right now and enjoy it. I don't think any of the upgrades would be worth the Price. (I have not tried the new forks)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, I decided to keep it as is. I'm going to try my luck at CX this year, but regardless, the bike makes a great gravel bike.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I saw on another thread you tried the DT Swiss RWS skewers. I'm getting some wheel wobble under braking when I have the bike in off-road mode. A few questions:
1) I find the disc brakes are really sensitive to tightness on the QR. Any change in torque and they'll rub. I moved from the standard BB7 calipers to the TRP HY/RDs, which helped, but I'd like to reduce this further. Do these allow for more consistent torquing of the skewer?
2) It seems Trek has an extra tab on the front that makes it even more difficult to get the wheel off. I have to loosen the QR quite a bit. Do these have any unique challenges?

I'm looking to go to the 9mm Thru Bolt conversion model rather than the QR model. Being smart, I sold the 9mm hub adapter that came with my wheels on ebay and am rebuying one for a slight loss. Trying to decide if I should bother with the rear or not. which is more consistent.

Did you have any issues with the stock wheels failing? On my 2014 Crockett 7 Disc, I bought 2 sets of wheels (one for road and one for non-road) because the bike store gave me $100 in accessories, making them free. Under my 200lb frame, I've quickly broken spokes and then potato chipped 3 of the 4 wheels in limited riding. I know they have a recall on the 720 model. I bought a set of Stans Grails and have been super happy with them.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Regarding your questions:

1) The RWS skewers will let you put down more consistent torque. You tighten the wheel as much as possible, and then adjust the skewer where you want it to point. I have three different wheelsets I use on this bike (training/gravel/race tubulars). I never really need to adjust the front, and only occasionally the rear, but that's because of the spacing of the rear hub.

2) The lawyer tabs on the front wheel don't seem larger than on any of my other bikes, that I can tell.

Regarding your wheels, the recall is for the 520/720 and wheel sets. I would take them back and see if they can be warrantied.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Took the bike out for a wash today, in anticipation of CX season. Lots of changes since I originally bought the bike. XXX stem, RXL IsoSpeed bars, Shimano hydro brakes. In race trim, she's 9.08kg. Here, she's about 9.4kg, but those are my training wheels, which are more than 300g heavier.

ImageCrocket 1 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr
ImageCrocket 2 by Gabriel Couriel, on Flickr
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshpeck

by joshpeck

Diggin the paint on this. Looks like a solid build too.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks! Three complete seasons of CX racing, and now, I'm finally getting into gravel. Went on my first gravel grinder, yesterday. 31 miles of Texas logging roads, and she handled the terrain like a champ!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Just as a data point here. I mounted up a set of Gravel King SK 700x 43c on my 2015 Crockett disc. They measured 40mm on my 18mm internal Swiss R32 rims with a tube at 50psi. There was about 5mm of clearance (a chain width) on the right chain stay, which is the limited. I plan to run these on 20mm internal Stans Grails, so they’ll probably use another 1mm of clearance

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the tip. I was concerned about mounting tires wider than 36c. I'm looking at the new Bontrager LT2 TLR's, which come in 38c, but wasn't sure if they'd fit.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

2018 maintenance almost done.

Pics with the 43mm Gravel Kings. 43c gravel king SKs tires are officially the largest I can fit. Despite the clearance, it is pretty tough wiggling it into the dropout while getting the chain on. The drive side rear seat stay is the constraint. Everywhere else has loads of clearance, so no mud concerns. These are at 50psi for the sealant goo to do it's work and to set the bead.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm
43c gravel king SKs tires are officially the largest I can fit. Despite the clearance, it is pretty tough wiggling it into the dropout while getting the chain on. The drive side rear seat stay is the constraint. Everywhere else has loads of clearance, so no mud concerns. These are at 50psi for the sealant goo to do it's work and to set the bead.
I’d be mindful of mud with the 43s. I have GravelKing SK 38s on my ‘16 (measure 40), I wore about a 2sq in bare spot in the paint on my drive side chain stay from mud that got caked on the tire. Mind you, it was thick North Texas clay, but I don’t use the wheels with the 38s anymore unless I know it’s going to be dry.
weigs wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 am
Does anyone know what diameter front derailleur seatpost clamp you need for the crockett frame?
34.9mm
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I ended up going with some Clement/Donnely MSO's (36c). They measure out a tad narrow (35.7mm), but I'm happy with the performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com