Thru-Axle Advantage

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

r_mutt

by r_mutt

What is the reason for the cx disc braked bikes moving to the thru-axle?

Marin

by Marin

Incompatibility with older wheels and frames, hoping for business from forced upgrades.
Last edited by Marin on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Increased rigidity is the main benefit.

There is also some concern that the braking power and action of disc brakes could result in the wheel being pulled out of some dropouts if the QR isn't tightened correctly (which anecdotally happened a few times when the mtb standard was quick release), a fear that is eliminated with thru-axle.

The "reason" for the change? Well as Marin says it's likley to force consumers to buy new frames/wheels etc...
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

ITTY

by ITTY

I actually had my front wheel come loose many times before I swapped the skewer to a boat anchor Shimano. I support the move to Thru-axle for disc bikes. However, I will probably be moving in the opposite direction and getting a canti equipped bike for next season.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

mattr

by mattr

TBH it's more a skewer issue than a disc/dropout issue. Properly fitted, functional, quality skewers won't have a problem.
I worked out the end load achievable with a shimano skewer a while ago, and it's *really* going some! (Following the Pinder/Fox case)

Marin

by Marin

I'm using a standard Shimano QR in the rear of my park bike. I'm running a 180mm disc with metallic pads on Shimano XT brakes, and I've yet to "pull the wheel" from the vertical (!) dropouts, even when landing 2m drops etc.

So speccing a proper QR will be _more_ than enough for any road or CX bike.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

It's nice with the thru axles for consistent wheel positioning. That really helps reduce brake rub you can get from a slightly offset wheel.

I personally think the stiffness thing is way overplayed for a CX bike though.

Plus, tons of 29er MTB wheels are thru axle now... so it helps with compatibility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com