First time cx build advice needed

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hewpttwo

by hewpttwo

Hello all,

I am about to start building my first cx bike, the project is being done on a budget with parts I have lying around so there is some compromise so please bear with me. I have a Stevens aluminium canti frame, I plan on running 10 speed Chorus on the rear and planning a sram apex 110 BCD crankset with a wolf Teeth 38T narrow/wide up front. I need some advice regarding my drivetrain i.e will it work and also what canti calipers would be the best to use. I am also thinking of rebuilding a set of wheels with 36 hole record hubs thoughts on rim choice would be helpful if anybody could recommend a tyre choice as well that would be great I live in Sydney and from what I gather the courses we have locally tend to be on the dry side. Thanks everybody for their input in advance.

aaric

by aaric

Tektro CR720s (~$20 / wheel) are a good cheap canti, that are hard to beat for the value.

Tektro 926AL (~$15 / wheel) is a nice mini-v if mud clearance isn't an issue, or canti setup annoys you. They also solve the issue of fork/steerer flex causing shuddering if you have a headset mounted cable stop, and fork that hasn't been reinforced to ignore the issue.

Both of these with nice pads work surprisingly well for the money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

aaric wrote:Tektro 926AL (~$15 / wheel) is a nice mini-v if mud clearance isn't an issue, or canti setup annoys you. They also solve the issue of fork/steerer flex causing shuddering if you have a headset mounted cable stop, and fork that hasn't been reinforced to ignore the issue.

I get this on my surly cross check with canti's and headset mounted hanger. Very annoying, nothing stops them squealing.

How budget is budget? I'm in sydney too and just started cross last year. My bike is currently the cross check with a 105 groupo, soon to be swapped for a chorus/record 10 drive train so I can swap spare wheels with the roadie.

I raced with manly, newcastle and did the rapha event in sydney park and most are definitely dry grass.
My wheels are just fulcrum cx wheels,.they look identical to the basic racing 7 model but have more sealing in the hubs or something. If you have a spare set of wheels, ride them first before rebuilding and see how they go.
I'm not running tubeless yet, just tubes with sealant. I'll try tubeless next season I think but sealant is a must.

For pedals, I'm using shimano m520's. Too hard to beat for value when you can get them online for under $25.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

kman

by kman

Also make sure you keep the chain length nice and short to help the narrow/wide ride do it's job.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

aaric

by aaric

kman wrote:I get this on my surly cross check with canti's and headset mounted hanger. Very annoying, nothing stops them squealing.

A fork mounted hangar is another way to help solve this issue. Supposedly shorter length pads help too, as there's less leverage to twist the brake pad.

hewpttwo

by hewpttwo

Thanks guys for the feed back it really helps, I guess it is going to be a case of learning as I go. Kman I live in Kurrajong Heights, we will probably going be chewing the same dirt as I plan on racing with Manly and Newcastle.

jooo

by jooo

hewpttwo wrote:I am also thinking of rebuilding a set of wheels with 36 hole record hubs thoughts on rim choice would be helpful

The Velocity A23 is available in 36H.

H Plus Son have the TB14 and Archetype available in 36H.

The Pacenti PL23 is another 36H option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com