CX1 vs Force 22 weight advantage ?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattjevans

by mattjevans

It's a race group, I don't think you can disregard race situations !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Theoretically it is, that's why only 1 rider use it all the time… without any success in last years , rest ( read 1 more ) only sometimes ;)

Having 2x10/ 2x11 I don't sacrifice weight, but having X1 I do sacriface gear range. My choice is easy . Same as 99.9% "pro's".

But, I'm "marketing resistant" ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Doesn't both Meeusen, Rob Peeters, Jens Adams, Bart Wellens, Ryan Trebon, Jeremy Powers and Wout van Aert use CX1?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Yes, all of those riders are on CX1.

stormur

by stormur

Wellens, Adams… let's look at 1st 20 ;) not the last one…

and WhoTF is J.Page ? :mrgreen:

Wout van Aert :

Meeusen :

Peeters :

Or maybe this way : who use 1x10/ 1x 11 drivetrain ?

Last year World Champion ? No

Belgian Champion ? No

UCI classification winner ? No

Last race winner ? No

Sven Nys ? No

Niels Albert : No

Marianne Vos ? No

Sanne Cant ? No

Katherina Nash ? No

KFC ? No

Pauline F-P ? No

LVDH ? No…..

I'm sure you can easy find plenty of riders from 3rd, 4th and 5th row who does :mrgreen:

In certain conditions CX1 can be OK (IMO) , 2x10/11 is OK for all of them :)

However you can be "marketing victim" if you wish, and don't realize, that almost all pro riders are paid to use this and that. Even sometimes if they have to sacrifice place at the race - just for photography / video coverage… . Even Nys have to.

I will look closely at World Championships : how many of them take the risk on that day ? I bet : NONE.

With nice smile I observe for a while how desperate Shimano drown money to promote disc brakes and Sram for CX1, and MAJORITY of their sponsored riders still choose canti brakes over discs and double crank… .

One more thing : even when whole "pro" world will use 1x11 ( it won't , but lets imagine ) , I will still use 36-46 , from simple reason : fits my needs perfectly . And tell me what is more important than that ?
Mark Twain

briantomshoe

by briantomshoe

May this thread rise from the dead!

I recently built a newly acquired frame with force 22, but decided to go a different direction with it after encountering a serious issue with the front derailleur cable routing. It was very bad, to the point that current models of the frame have been completely redesigned with access ports in the bottom bracket.

So I decided to switch to cx1 and it is 110 grams lighter, comparing a 50/34 with ll-25 to a 42 with 11-32. There is a small amount of top end lost and a little bit of low end gained.

It is definitely a quarter of a pound lighter. But I am a 100% SRAM parts person, no cheats allowed including chainrings, chains, and cassettes.

stormur

by stormur

which frame ?
Mark Twain

RyanH

by RyanH

I calculated the difference on paceline last night to be a 120g penalty for 1x and a loss of gear range. The only practical benefit that I see is you can swap front chainring "easily" depending on where you plan on riding.

grover

by grover

Correct for similar gearing range though.

50 tooth ring
11-36 tooth cassette

Weight difference is a wash. Maybe 50 grams lighter for Force1.

The way you make Force1 much lighter is by using XD freehub body and an XX1 10-42 cassette. 100 grams lighter than 11-36 cassette, 10 tooth cog allows smaller chainring to maintain top end speed which is lighter. But the gaps in cassette are huge!

On the road where front shifting is very reliable and large gaps in the cassette are noticeable Force22 for me.

Offroad where mud and dirt and bumpy surfaces make front shifting and chain retention a problem, and large jumps in cassette are more tolerable I love my Force1. So much quieter too.

That rear Force1 derailleur really is a beast. Heavier than front and rear Force22 derailleurs combined!

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

I don't think SRAM should be marketing the group as weight saving in the beginning because it really isn't.
I'm going to go for CX1 simply because I need the lower end - As in theoretically with 1x vs 2x, my lowest combination can be 34x42 vs 34x32.
This is considering the limitation of 34t being the smallest for 110 BCD.

I'm looking at touring applications so higher gears aren't very important..
AND to add to the touring application, one less potential mechanical failure sounds pretty good!

Marin

by Marin

You can save quite a bit of weight by going to a direct mount front ring. I'm running a Garbaruk.

If you're not running a 42t cassette, you can also just use a normal, non-clutch derailleur which will also save a ton of weight and with a narrow/wide front ring and short-ish chain will keep the chain on just fine for most applications (except for CX racing of course).