Source for Shimano BR-R785 Caliper?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bto11

by bto11

Hello,

Here is the story..... I have purchased a new BMC CX01 frameset that is Di2 compatible. My plan was to setup the bike with the R785 Di2, however it seems as though the R785 Di2 lever/brake set is only available with the BR-RS785 caliper. Not a big deal, right? Unfortunately the new BMC CX01 is ONLY compatible with the older BR-R785 caliper (not the RS785). The new RS785 caliper will absolutely not fit (I have confirmed this, as I have the bike and the RS785 calipers in hand).

I have called Shimano, and their response is that the R785 caliper is out of production and will no longer be available. I have called BMC, and they have admitted that the new frame was designed around the old caliper (the one that is out of production.....). :evil:

At this point I am left trying to scrounge together a set of BR-R785 calipers. I have tried all the usual suspects - even ordering the "correct" part to find out when it came to my door it was the new "incorrect" part. Does anyone have a confirmed source for the BR-R785 calipers?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Would something like an XT caliper fit?

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

The only real difference is the hose routing. Most mtb calipers have the banjo routing, so use SLX, XT, XTR etc. instead

bto11

by bto11

I would consider the XT or XTR options, but those also seem nearly impossible to come by.

mattr

by mattr

CXTony

by CXTony

From what I have heard/read the only difference with the newer caliper is how the hose enters the caliper. I can't see how switching from a banjo fitting to a direct fitting would cause mounting issues on the frame... Do you have photos of the interference? Maybe something is being mounted wrong?

bto11

by bto11

It has to do with the bleed port location changing. On the new BMC, the RS785 bleed port hits the seat stay.

I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

How tight is it? Would replacing the bleed nipple with a grub screw work?

bto11

by bto11

Unfortunately I do have the grub already installed in the RS785 calipers. The caliper is tucked so tightly into the seat stay, that the seat stay is actually contacting the side of the bleed port. I think that is partly due to the seat stay configuration on the BMC, and partly due to how far rearward BMC packaged the caliper. The R785 does in fact work...if you can find them.

Normally BMC and Shimano are on the same page, but not in this instance.

It isn't ideal, but I will source the XT calipers for this build. Anyone need some RS785 calipers???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

bto11 wrote:It has to do with the bleed port location changing. On the new BMC, the RS785 bleed port hits the seat stay.

I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

I see a SRAM XO caliper in the stock image from BMC's product page. Looks like the point where the housing exits the stay makes for a very tight routing of the hydro housing regardless of caliper but seems like an XTR M985/988 would work just fine.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"