Carbon vs. Aluminum

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm presently building up a Gravel Grinder/Cross Bike (mainly Gravel), and have come to a cross-roads. The frame set I originally wanted, Trek Crockett, is not available in a cantilever form, and Trek doesn't show any coming in the future, so I'm now at a quandary: should I go with the more expensive Boone frame set with cantilever brakes, or the less expensive Crockett frame set with disc brakes?

To clarify, if I get the Boone, I will only need to buy a new FD, since I bought a clamp-on 6800 FD. Otherwise, I have everything I will need to build the bike. If I go with the Crockett, I will need to buy brakes (since I already have the canti brakes) and have my wheels rebuild for discs (or buy new wheels).

Opinions?

BTW, I'm not presently considering any brand other than Trek, although I may be swayed by a good Ti frame, if I can get it at a good price.

stormur

by stormur

Always seatposts @ 27.2 and FD brazed on ;) fit's to everything… almost.

it depends …. do you want canti ? then Boone, Can you live with disc brakes ? then Boone or Crocket.

I rode once on Crockett ( 105 ) - feels good, but it's… heavy like a brick.

Crockett on disc's will be at least 1kg heavier than Boone on canti .

Price of brakes or FD is (almost) irrelevant in overall build price.

If you can afford Boone - go for it. It's newer, lighter, more compliant . Boone is improved + CF "Crockett" . You have (almost) all parts for both builds, so there's no issue to consider like f.e. Boone + Rival or Crockett+Red… .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

If it's mainly for gravel, discs. You want reliability in poor conditions AND over longer distances. Not just on a race course. You can also run bigger tyres (no 33mm restriction) and tubeless so compliance and comfort from the frame is less of a consideration. Ditto with weight. Making a bike durable for gravel races/training kinda makes the weight take a back seat.

If it was mainly for cross (racing) I'd go canti, for exactly the opposite reasons.

You can probably pick up some road BB7s for not a huge amount, and the price difference between the two frames should nicely offset the cost of hubs/brakes.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I'd go with the Boone. Cantilever brakes have been considered reliable for a long time. The arrival of discs doesn't change that.
Regarding tires i currently have 35 mm tires on my canti equipped cross bike with plenty of clearance. For mostly gravel you could even consider some 38-42 mm tires with less thread?
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the advice, everyone. After thinking about it, I'm going to go with the Boone. I will get new wheels, however, since the ones I was going to go with we're a little too lightweight for the task (Reynolds DV3K's 20/24). I'll instead look for a budget 24/24 or 24/28 clincher wheels, and try to run a 35C tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The boss vetoed that decision (too costly, we're moving), so I went with the disc Crockett, instead. Not the lightest frame, but at the price, I can't complain. Now I'm looking for some disc brake calipers. I was thinking about the TRP Spyre's, but I've heard some negative reviews on them. Anyone care to chime in?

Chader09

by Chader09

I'm getting Avid BB7s for my Boone. They seem to have great reviews in mags and by general riders. I like the simplicity of adjustments and reliability based on my experience with them on trials bikes (where braking is very critical to performance and safety).

boots2000

by boots2000

I am going through a similar excercise but with a Specialized Crux- trying to decide between canti (light) and disc (1.5 lb heavier). Both would be carbon s-works.
I would be using it for dirt/gravel. Probably never see a cross race.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Re brakes: I'm not a BB7 fan. I don't like the single sided pull. The Spyre are actually really nice brakes. That's what I've been recommending to people going mechanical.

Re S-works disc vs Canti:

If you aren't going to race it. I would seriously consider saving a boat load of cash and get one of Pro versions. They make them in both disc and canti still if getting a frame. If going complete, the Crux Pro race UDI2 is sweet for the $. Carbon wheels, full Di2, carbon specialized crank.

boots2000

by boots2000

I do agree that the pro represents an extreme value compared to the cost of an S-works frame.
I am not going to race cross but I will race some events that have significant dirt and significant climbing- so I want the bike to be light.
I decided to order a canti S-works frame for 3 reasons.
1.) I have most of the parts- I can use existing wheels and such. The only things that I need to buy are some bigger tires and a set of cantis or mini-v brakes.
2.) If I went disc I would want the 785 DI2 stuff- this puts me in the neighborhood of a complete new bike.
3.) Disc stuff for road/cross is still evolving. I think there will be better options in 1-2 years.
The disc brakes may get even lighter, more wheels with no braking surface/tubeless specific, and more bikes with double thru axle. If I am going to buy a disc cross bike I would want it to have a 142mm thru axle rear and 15mm thru axle front.

Briscoelab wrote:Re brakes: I'm not a BB7 fan. I don't like the single sided pull. The Spyre are actually really nice brakes. That's what I've been recommending to people going mechanical.

Re S-works disc vs Canti:

If you aren't going to race it. I would seriously consider saving a boat load of cash and get one of Pro versions. They make them in both disc and canti still if getting a frame. If going complete, the Crux Pro race UDI2 is sweet for the $. Carbon wheels, full Di2, carbon specialized crank.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you're looking for canti brakes, I've got a set of Shimano CX70 brakes in the For Sale section.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Wanted to update the thread with this teaser. Having the shop put it together as we speak. I should be seeing it sometime around Christmas, if all goes to plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk