Top end disc tub wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stephenjames

by stephenjames

I currently have 4 sets of 38mm deep Farsports carbon tubs built on Novatec disc hubs. To be fair they are very good indeed I must say and have given me all the selection of tyres I need without crazy expense.

But I would like one set of premium wheels mounted with the tyres I like for most conditions (new FMB SSC Slalom)

My immediate thought was just to go with a set of the new Zipp 303 Disc tubs but I think a set of the Enve 29er XC tubulars could be worth a look. I also have experience of the AX lightness 29er tub rims having used them in XC racing a year back and they were great too so I have a few to choose from!

Am I missing any, and what suggestions does anyone have?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Can't tell from the images on Zipp's site, but I don't think the current version of the Zipp 303 Disc tubulars are actually disc specific as they still include a brake track where as the Enve Twenty9 XC rims do not. I also went the Farsport route when I first switched to disc cross framesets but the Farsport 50mm road tubular rims were all that was really available. I ordered 3 wheelsets and came in under 1500 grams and aside from poor bearing life with the Novatech D711/712 hubs, those wheels were okay but after a few weeks of racing, I also wanted a nice race day set of wheels. I opted to add 2 sets of the Enve 28-hole tubular rims, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, and DT 240s 6-bolt hubs for a ~1400 gram disc wheelset. If I were doing this today, I guess I would need to find a different rim as I would want to use the 24-hole DT Swiss 240s centerlock straight pull road hubs.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

stephenjames

by stephenjames

Thanks for the reply - I'm kinda torn between the two to be honest but I guess safe in the knowledge that both are pretty awesome! The new zipp 303 is disc specific but only in so much as they don't machine the brake tracks I believe. Hmm, choices!!

I agree on the farsports wheels though and honestly cant say anything bad about them, especially for the cost. They are strong, light and durable so what more can you say. I've had no bearing issues on the novatec hubs but to be honest I haven't had so many gnarly races that needed the powerwash and that's the acid test!

ms6073

by ms6073

stephenjames wrote:I've had no bearing issues on the Novatec hubs but to be honest I haven't had so many gnarly races that needed the powerwash and that's the acid test!

That is probably the difference. I got the Farsport wheels at the start of the 2012 season and even with 2 race bikes, lead off the first 3-weeks enjoying wet/rain/mud (Masters 45+ @ USGP Madison, Gloucester, and Providence) after which the bearings in all of the Novatech rear wheels were toast. Got my hands on 2 sets of the Enve tubulars by week 6 which were setup with FMB's for dry conditions and the Farsports got FMB mud tires for inclement weather all the way through worlds.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

DT Swiss XRC 950T are also worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

Ah, nice. If not for the exposed nipples, those rims would be a dead ringer for the Enve Twenty9 XC's.
- Michael

grover

by grover

I use the DT Swiss XRC 950T.

The only issue is the rim bed is quite flat to handle mtb tubulars. You have to be very careful with the glue job to get the edges of the basetape to stick well.

I envisage the Enve XC wheels being similar.

I still wouldn't opt for the Zipp wheels though as I'm not convinced the hubs are up to the task.

Sorry I don't have a perfect solution apart from a custom build.

stephenjames

by stephenjames

I have gone for custom built Zipp 303's by wheelbuilder.com with Chris King R45 hubs and CX-rays. Looking forward to that package arriving.......!!!

vcnz

by vcnz

according to my experience with Chinese wheels in 3 years, ZIPP, Enve etc. look like a total waste of money to my eyes.
Maybe one day I'll fall in love with one of those wheel sets and will buy it, but considering what I've experiencing with Chinese wheels I'm very far from doing so

ms6073

by ms6073

vcnz wrote:according to my experience with Chinese wheels in 3 years, ZIPP, Enve etc. look like a total waste of money to my eyes.

When I purchased the Enve Twenty9 XC tubular wheelsets, which are a tad under 26mm wide, none of the far east vendors were offering anything over 20-21 mm wide so to go wider for cross, I really did not have much choice but was able to get below retail pricing. These days, I would have to agree that Zipp, Reynolds, Enve pricing would preclude those choices but aside from Xiamen iPLays 30mm deep/30mm wide MTB tubular rims, I have yet to see far east vendors offering similar intermediate depth tubular rims (30mm-45mm), wider, disc specific tubulars that are as light as the Enve rims. Sort of topic drift, but imagine a 'price is not a concern' wheelset based on the Enve rims built with Extralite's disc hubs - that would yield a near 1000 gram disc brake wheelset but would probably cost US $3500!
- Michael

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i built a Extralite Ultrahubs (old, used , from 2007 ) disc hubs 28 holes laced to Nextie Bikes tubular rims, low profile 20mm but wide, 23mm

front with 15mm Thru axle

1060 grams

better than top brands products , almost 10000 km done since 1st january
http://eliflap.it/

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ms6073 wrote:
vcnz wrote: I have yet to see far east vendors offering similar intermediate depth tubular rims (30mm-45mm), wider, disc specific tubulars that are as light as the Enve rims.

This is as wide (27mm) as you'd ever need for a 33mm cyclocross tubular. In fact going wider could prove problematic with base tape adhesion.
http://www.light-bicycle.com/tubular-mt ... Dn30xa8Pwk

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Get the Enve wheels. They will last forever, are light, and very stiff. Also, the DT Swiss (or King) hubs will hold up fantastic to bad conditions.

The Zipp 303 disc are just regular 303 rims. IMO too heavy for the money, with less robust hubs.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

my next set will have a Soul Kozak straight pull hubs

already on my hands a pair of preproduction, in few weeks ready a large quantity of pairs.

not yet on their web site.
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MARLON

by MARLON

Something Like this ImageImageImage
BACK IN BLACK