1 x 11 with Shimano mech

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I'm building up a new frame and want to go 11 speed. Does anyone know if the new rear mechs have a stronger spring setting?

as per description from absolute black website

In order to get best results we recommend increasing cage return spring tension. New derailleurs are assembled with the spring in the mount that allows the most relaxed position of the spring. However there is another position on the cage which will increase that tension. It is a standard procedure, please navigate to point no.7 in the link. You may also ask your LBS to do it for you.

Basically i'd like to go 11-32 but realise this would use a longer cage and probably more susceptible to chain drop.

Anyone have any experience of running 1x10 or 1x11 with shimano non clutch mechs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I run 1x11 on my TT bike, and often use an 11/32, my front ring is a 56T Osymetric ring. I have not found the need for the medium cage, as the standard short cage works just fine. Also I have not adjusted the tension just have it at stock setting. I still keep the front mech in place in case of getting thrown off, so far no issues.

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I still keep the front mech in place in case of getting thrown off, so far no issues.

Yes this is for cyclocross and i really just want to run no chain guide or front mech.

Does anyone know if there is any difference in spring tension between the 105 and ultegra mechs?

mattr

by mattr

Don't some of the shimano mechs have adjustable tension?