1x11 setup with Q-Ring. Any clue ?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

On one of my bikes I have a CX1 and would like to try a Rotor Q-Ring. Any experience ?

question #2: I'm using 44T on my Sram crank. If I for a Q-Ring should I lower the teeth and got for a 42T ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

No personal experience, but no front shifting probably is the best use of an asymmetric ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfno

by bfno

New Qcx1 rings are coming out with narrow wide teeth, that would be your best bet
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

vcnz

by vcnz

bfno wrote:New Qcx1 rings are coming out with narrow wide teeth, that would be your best bet

yes I'm talking about the QCX1 which is already available here. The big question is I'm not sure whether I have to go for a Q-Ring 44T or 42T
I use 44T normal chainring and sometimes (deep mud/sand) 44T is beyond the limit of my legs' power.
I'm afraid the QRing 44T feels almost like a 46T while pushing (it's almost like a 42T on the dead spot)... so not sure yet I go for 44 or 42

CXTony

by CXTony

Generally you replace the regular ring with a Qring of the same size. The power stroke is effectively larger, but due to the smaller non-power side, the pedaling force is supposed to be equal to the standard ring size. So if you run a 44T now, use a 44T Qring.
I have used Qrings and am now riding Osymetrics on the road. I used a single Qring for CX last year (haven't pulled the trigger on using them this year as I am on the new Ultegra 4-bolt and they don't do a CX ring-set for those yet)

CXrider

by CXrider

Some of my teammates have tried them this summer in training and weren't happy with the setup.
They ran Dura-Ace DI2 derailleurs and after riding 30 minutes in muddy conditions, the chain started to drop

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

I'm running Dura Ace 9000 with 11-28 and 40t single ring on my disk bikes this year. I've yet to drop the chain on the QCX1 rings but havent ridden in much mud. Doesn't drop bunnyhopping UCI height hurdles though

vcnz

by vcnz

I bought it and seems I like it so far. The only thing that worries me a bit is that the chain tension on the bottom is not the same while pedaling.
I'm not sure whether this would make the chain easier to fall in deep mud if at all

isaacross

by isaacross

I have run a 1x set up with q rings for years (when did they come out?) I always run two teath lower, otherwise it feels too big in the power stroke, especially in mud or sand. The new qcx1 hav an even greater ovalization, 12.5% vs the standard 10%so this will be even more important. I run a 40t with an 11x25 10spd. Wil switch to a 11-28 if it's very hilly.

On the road I have run the same as I would with round. Not sure why this is, could be a momentum thing. Always felt good.

Isaacross

dvincere

by dvincere

We have a lot of experience with single ring setups for CX. Almost universally everyone on the team with them has been convinced to switch to clutch rear derailleurs. And then they never consider another setup. As for ring size, it's really personal. Our UCI rider men all use 40-42T. Nothing larger. It's been plenty of gears to finish lead lap with the likes of Jeremy Powers and Tim Johnson. Perhaps if your local conditions are less challenging or if you're competing at World Cups, the larger sizes may be useful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com