Trek Boone Disc

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks very close to what I'm planning on building, except I'm going to try and get the Green/Black/White paint scheme, if it is still available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Finally put bar tape on it last night. Probably going to take it out for a ride today... Thinking about getting my hands on some carbon disc tubbies just to do it right.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

It currently sits at 17.2 lbs with pedals and tape.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Also, going back a bit in the thread, the AC mtn freehub was not able to take an 11 spd cassette body, so I ordered a 10 spd 11-32 (to go along with an 11-28 and 11-26 10 spd cassettes I have). Stupidly, I didn't check if the cassette on the stans wheels would work as sram said 11-32 was the max spread with the CX clutch rear d and the XX cassette I had was a bit bigger...

I gave the 11-36 XX cassette a shot and it clear totally fine. Will report after my ride today if it 'actually' works.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Spandexboy, my LBS tried ordering this frame, and it doesn't show up on the Trek system. How did your dealer get it? I'm assuming he called Trek and requested it. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Chader09

by Chader09

FIJIGabe wrote:Spandexboy, my LBS tried ordering this frame, and it doesn't show up on the Trek system. How did your dealer get it? I'm assuming he called Trek and requested it. Please let me know.

Thanks!

The framesets are the leftovers from the SRAM disc recall, for what would have been the Boone 7 Disc version of a complete bike.

This specific color is only available to Trek Ninjas via the Trek University website (the "Ninjas Only Frame Deal" section).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Spoke to my LBS, and they won't sell it to me... d'oh! I guess i'll get the basic frameset instead.

mitchy

by mitchy

love a good 1x** CX bike. very keen to hear your thoughts on the QCX1 ring once you've put some miles on it too!

Chader09

by Chader09

FIJIGabe wrote:Spoke to my LBS, and they won't sell it to me... d'oh! I guess i'll get the basic frameset instead.

Ah, bummer. I'm not surprised unfortunately. Trek has rules about selling those because they are only available to employees and sold a good discount.

It makes the disc model in this color something like a "Special Edition" with the way they are selling them, LOL.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Yeah. It is a bit of a bummer non-employees can't pick it up in the disc version as it is a beautiful bike. We have had 2 of the blue and black ones roll out of the shop and they look 10x better in real life than they do in the pictures. The pictures actually look pretty awful, but in person they are pretty sharp also, with the same black on one side, white on the other as the green one.

Anyways, got in a nice 5 hr break in cross ride today and was very impressed. About 3.5 of the hrs was off road on a bit of single track, double track, and the nastiest dirt roads you can imagine (jeeps and 4x4s only!). It is very dry and dusty out where I live. Big rocks and loose dirt to deal with but no mud. Yet.
Everything performed flawlessly except I flatted the tubeless front - not sure how, but it happened railing down a decent. Easy fix.

Impressions:
The CX1 worked perfectly. I never threw the chain. Shifting in the back was perfect for the first 3 hrs, but got a little sloppy during the last 2 - probably due to cable stretch.
The Rotor 40t Q ring up front worked perfectly as well. I have never ridden a 1x setup before and it was magical. It is insane to see it work perfectly for a pretty hard 5 hr ride.
I feel like the pivots for the brakes could be moved up a little to improve leverage when you are on the hoods. Braking effort is a bit harder than I was hoping for with 160mm rotors and hydros. In the drops, the braking power is amazing. Modulation is very good as well. Power could be improved by switching to organic pads, but there was no point in my ride when I needed more stopping power when I was in the drops.
Rear shifting worked totally fine in the 11-34 or 11-36 (can't remember how big the cassette is and my garage is a long walk). Sram claims a 32 max for the clutch rear d, but it worked without issue.

The frameset:
Wow. I am coming off a cannondale superX and a while back a gunnar crosshairs, and I thought the SuperX was one of the sweetest bikes ever made. The boone was better in every aspect (except weight!!!). Stiffer, WAY smoother, braking power, and did I mention stiffer? The front end was a rock. I am running zipp alumin bars and a carbon 3t stem and it is a very solid feeling front end. The isodecoupler in the back works just like it did on the Domane and really helps keep the rear wheel planted and lets you stay seated to power along a bit better.

Anyways, I am very impressed after just one ride.

Chader09

by Chader09

Sweet. Thanks for the ride report. It makes me even more excited to finish mine.

I am getting the final parts together. Waiting on availability of my cranks and still deciding on brakes.

I'm running Ultegra 6800 for drivetrain and leaning towards Avid BB7 S Roads for the brakes.

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I love the bb7s. Maybe run them with 160 rotors, but for weight and cost they are a pretty good setup. That hydro stuff was pretty pricey... Highly recommend the single ring setup btw

Chader09

by Chader09

I've looked at the TRP HY/RDs but I like the simplicity of the BBs. Glad to know the BB7s are a good choice.
I wasn't sure on the rear rotor size. Thanks for confirming 160 on both is the right choice.

I like the idea of a single front, but this will also be my exploring bike.
So I am planning a standard 46/36 Ultegra crank to keep it more practical on longer rides.

I started hanging parts on the frameset last night. It's fun starting the real building process now :)

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I recently picked up my Boone Canti (bought frame only)

Just on 7kg with 10 speed SRAM Red/Force mixed group, Shorty Ultimate brakes, not particularly light wheels (Gigantex 50mm rims on Hope hubs).
Vittoria Pave 27mm tyres glued on for now as when I ordered it I planned to do some end of summer road riding. Things dragged on and now I need to change the tyres.

I've ordered a CX1 front ring, will be pulling off the front mech, rings and cable. Still deciding on CX1 mech, I'm told it should work pretty OK with a Force short cage anyway

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

spandexboy817 wrote:Impressions:

I feel like the pivots for the brakes could be moved up a little to improve leverage when you are on the hoods. Braking effort is a bit harder than I was hoping for with 160mm rotors and hydros. In the drops, the braking power is amazing.

It's "Sram Ergonomy" - levers and hoods designed to ride on drops only… leverage on hoods is crap on every brakes :( you can move levers closer to bar, but no further … . Shimano & Campagnolo are way ahead with it .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)