BB30 or GXP with adaptor?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I've just bought a BB30 cross frame. I've heard nothing good about BB30 espeically when using in mud, dirt and water etc.

I really want the force cx1 crankset. Should i get the BB30 version or a the gxp and run a kcnc/praxis Convertor?

Reason being the bearings might actually last longer and is easier to install/remove

Martin.F

by Martin.F

For what it's worth I've been using the realworldcycling.com kcnc/enduro bb30-gxp bottom bracket for two years. No creaking and the bearings still runs as smooth as new. Plus if you decide to buy a new frame in the future and keep the crankset, a gxp is usable in more types of frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I've heard good things about that adaptor

Is this on a road or cross frame?

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I'm in a real dilemma as i know the bb30 is going to lighter and apparently stiffer (although real world differences i'm not sure)

some ppl saying BB30 is amazing and lots and lots saying its not

fordred

by fordred

Frame manufacturers are not able to make the BB shell in such tight tolerances as required by BB30, resulting is either alot of creaking, or premature wearing of bearings.
BB30 bearings are not as well shielded (almost can say there's none) as compared to GXP and this usually means more frequent BB bearing changes compared to GXP.

Even Cannondale who is the founder of BB30 is moving to PF30.

Between BB30 and GXP, I strongly feel that GXP is better.

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

Good info cheers.

GXP it is

jackie

by jackie

my honest opinion.
BB30 crank is lighter and supposedly shifter
if your frame allow a BB30.. then make full used of it..
and get the BB30 Crank.
i dnt have a cross but my MTB is on BB30. so is my Road. and i am using Sram X0 BB30 on theMTB and Red on the road
what i realise is that for my MTB, regular maintenance is a must. I pack my BB30 with grease and repack them when i have muddy session.. of cos i will clean them out first before repacking...

justaute

by justaute

I hope the OP doesn't mind I revive this thread. I am also in the process of building up a new CX. The frame will have a PF30 BB shell. If I decide to go with SRAM CX1, should I go with a GXP or BB30 crankset?

Of course, I'm still debating whether I should go with SRAM CX1 or piecemeal a Shimano 105 5800 w/hydro. I've always used Shimano on my bikes.

Thanks.

VTBike

by VTBike

My frame is BB30 (Felt F1x), but it also came with GXP adapters. I wanted to get a 2011 (old style) red crank, to go with my 2011 shifters for a 1x10 setup. The first great deal i got on ebay for the crank was GXP, so i went with it. Installation was a cinch, operation is flawless. BUT, the adapters weigh 85g, and the GXP is heavier than the BB30 crank (forgot how much) -- and honestly, the extra 100+ grams is eating a hole in my head! I want it gone, and wish I had just spent a few more bucks on the bb30 crank. Is it worth it to have to replace bb30 bearings every season to save 100g?

This is weight weenies.. :)

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I went with an FSA BB30 adaptor and it's worked flawless.

Few cx racing mates have said they have had problems with bearing life using BB30.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

VTBike wrote:My frame is BB30 (Felt F1x), but it also came with GXP adapters. I wanted to get a 2011 (old style) red crank, to go with my 2011 shifters for a 1x10 setup. The first great deal i got on ebay for the crank was GXP, so i went with it. Installation was a cinch, operation is flawless. BUT, the adapters weigh 85g, and the GXP is heavier than the BB30 crank (forgot how much) -- and honestly, the extra 100+ grams is eating a hole in my head! I want it gone, and wish I had just spent a few more bucks on the bb30 crank. Is it worth it to have to replace bb30 bearings every season to save 100g?

This is weight weenies.. :)

Get lighter skewers and find something else to get that weight back :).

jooo

by jooo

VTBike wrote:Is it worth it to have to replace bb30 bearings every season?

trickydisco78 wrote:Few cx racing mates have said they have had problems with bearing life using BB30.

There is almost no difference in the sealing between SRAM GXP and press fit BB's. They are both just little plastic shields with a standard sealed cartridge bearing behind. They'll last almost an identical amount of time if used in the same conditions.

A BB30 Exogram crank will save a huge amount of weight and the different bolt pattern will be of no consequence if running 1x10.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com