Crux stages crankset dilemma

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Hi guys,
So I'm moving back to Arizona for a few months and the only bike I'll have for training is my new cyclocross bike for both road and 'cross. The bike is a 2013 Specialized E5 Crux Disc equipped with a 46/36T FSA gossamer BB30 crankset. However, I recently bought an ultegra 6700 stages power meter, which I would very much like to use during training (primarily for road riding and intervals on the trainer). Obviously the stages is not compatible with the FSA crankset, so I'd appreciate some input on the most cost effective way to get my power meter to work with this bike. I may be able to cannibalize the ultegra 6600 crankset off my TT bike, but it's a 53/39 and I'd probably end up swapping it out for actual cross races. I also considered purchasing a CX70/CX50 and selling the gossamer crank, but it seems silly to spend another $200 to fit a powermeter for a few months. And in either of the mentioned cases, I'd be swapping BB30 for a 24mm shimano spindled crankset, which would be a headache since I'd need some sort of adapter to get the bearings to work. I'm not sure what the crux BB standard is because it's definitely not a regular external bearing BB, but also doesn't look like a regular press-fit (See: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... t#features). Also, am I really giving up any crank stiffness by switching to a 24mm spindle in a 30mm BB?
Am I overthinking this? What's the easiest/cheapest solution here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vertr

by vertr

You could consider going single ring in the front for cross racing and use a 130 BCD Race Face narrow-wide ring on your 6600 crank. They come in 40, 42, 44, 46. This is the cheapest solution at $40-50 on Amazon.

> I'd need some sort of adapter to get the bearings to work.

Your Crux should have included two adapters for Shimano 24mm cranks. If you don't have them pm me and I'll send you some for the cost of shipping if you want to go that route.

>Also, am I really giving up any crank stiffness by switching to a 24mm spindle in a 30mm BB

I use SRAM cranks and I feel like I notice the difference a little bit between my GXP and BB30 cranks.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Just run the wheels mfg style adapter and a shimano crank on the crux. Also, your local specialized dealer probably has a bunch of spare 24mm adapters laying around, because they ship with bikes/frames that use the specialized osbb. They might just give them to you if you ask nice :)

I will say the new Shimano 6800 CX crankset is outstanding. They aren't expensive and would take your stages crank arm.

You should be able to sell the current crank to help offset the price. Plus, the upside will be that you get outstanding shifting from the Ultgera rings.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Briscoelab wrote:I will say the new Shimano 6800 CX crankset is outstanding. They aren't expensive and would take your stages crank arm.

^^^^This.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

$270 is quite a bit for a cross crankset.... At some point it'd make more sense to just buy another FSA stages.
Are the spesh OSBB 24mm adapters just the same as the wheels mfg ones?

vertr

by vertr

kulivontot wrote:$270 is quite a bit for a cross crankset.... At some point it'd make more sense to just buy another FSA stages.
Are the spesh OSBB 24mm adapters just the same as the wheels mfg ones?

They are the same functionally, but the are made out of aluminum instead of delrin. I got your PM but I can't reply to PMs because my account is new. I sent an email to your listed address though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

Praxis makes a BB adapter for Specialized that is amazing. I have their PF30 version on my cross bike so I can swap Shimano cranks (and my Stages) and have been very happy with it.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)