Any Reason I Shouldn't Get a Cross Frame....

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

So I currently have a Ridley X-Night disc and it's the bike I spend the most time on. I'm looking to unload the Ridley Noah and buy a second disc frame as I like to have to bikes. I'd consider a second Ridley X-Night but the only thing I don't like about it is the single bottle cage mount. I like to do long rides and would prefer not to have to put the second bottle in a back pocket.

So here's the thought. At first I was thinking I'd get a disc road frame such as the Ridley Fenix disc or the Scott Solace disc. But now I'm wondering why not get another cross frame like the Niner BSB 9 RDO? It has better tire clearance so I have more options and the geo is pretty close. Any reason not to go with more tire clearance??
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

ms6073

by ms6073

Tamu8104 wrote:I'd consider a second Ridley X-Night but the only thing I don't like about it is the single bottle cage mount.

That is an interesting update for Ridley as prior to 2014, the X-Night typically did not have any bottle cage mounts!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Are you using it for road? If you are wanting to race 'cross on a road frame, don't do it. You will not have the bottombracket height for it.

nayr497

by nayr497

Hmm, seems obvious, but no one has mentioned it. They do make bottle cage mounts for bikes without eyelets for them. That would be a cheap add-on.

I race cross on a Van Dessel Gin & Trombones. It has two bottle mounts, which I love because I also use it for winter road riding with road tires (spare wheelset all set up with 28mm smooth tires). When I do that I just mount two bottle cages. When racing cross, cages come off, holes covered with electrical tape. I'd be hesitant to buy any bike for any type of riding without two bottle cage mounts. Seem easy enough to just cover them up, without bolts installed, if you don't want to use them. Never notice mine when shouldering.

I love having a cross bike. I actually commute on a cross bike set up with fenders and smooth tires and a rack. Perfect for that application. And now I'm thinking of popping off the drop bars and 105 shifters for some slight rise bars with rapid-fire shifters. I have plenty of drop-bar bikes and on this one I'm riding in traffic, not ever for too long at once, and with 1-2 loaded panniers. Speed ain't the goal, but braking, shifting, and being upright all from the same position seems nicer.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I had the same thought when I got my alloy cross bike "disc brakes and it'll be durable in case I crash in crits!"
Until I started making upgrades and did the math and realized there was around a 3-4 pound penalty for my disc brake cross bike (1500g frame, 600g fork, 650g brakes/rotors, 360g hubs)
I'm sure you can lessen this with the right frameset/components, but I'm not exactly throwing away my addict right now.