Sscx crankset advice

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I'm starting a single speed build and I've hit a dead end on crank choice. What is the common route people go, 104 mtb crank or 110 compact road? I'd like a dedicated ss crank for a straight chainline and to run a 1/8 chain, bb is english BSA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Use what you have. You can get singlespeed rings for virtually any PCD so thats really doesn't matter. If you are running a converted cassette hub you can dial in any chainline by moving the cog on the cassette body. With a dedicated singlespeed hub it gets trickier.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Run a 130 BCD road crank. I always run a 42 up front, the 130 gives you a lot of options. I typically run 42x17 or 42x18. That gives you a good gear for everything but the steepest stuff and a lot of chain wrap on the cog and ring.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

DA7800 cranks are pretty easy to find on the used market and work great. But really, just about any std road crank works good. I stick with 130mm BCD, as you really don't need a ring smaller than a 38 on a SS CX bike.

I wouldn't worry though, if you found a good deal on a compact. There are rings out there in any size.

I would, however, strongly suggest against using an 1/8 chain. I think you will be much happier with a quality 8-9 speed chain. I use the high end Sram 8 speed chains on all of my SS MTB and CX bikes. They hold up great and have a quick link.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I have a 16t White Industries freewheel which I want to use hence needing such a small chainring. I prefer 1/8 stuff for ss use for peace of mind, it lasts longer, and good quality stuff is easy for me to source. Good point on the 38t ring, so I guess it's settled then 130bcd it is.