23mm or 25mm internal rim

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

JBC

by JBC

Can anyone advise on the benefits/differences of 23 or 25mm carbon cyclocross rims?

Using 21cm now and buying a second set and have choice of new widths.

Weight wise I am assuming the 25's are a little heavier but does the extra internal width offer any advantages.

Many thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

At 25 mm, some brakes start having problems accommodating the width. It's also a relatively rare width so far, so if you are swapping wheels, you will have to do more adjusting. For tires in the 50+ mm size range, the extra width can stabilize the sidewalls a bit so the ride is a bit more predictable. But for cross tires, I've found that a 23 mm rim offers a great improvement over a 19.5 mm or so rim, but the 25 doesn't do that much more. It just wasn't worth the hassles when swapping wheels.

JBC

by JBC

But not such problem if using discs? The extra stability sounds good.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Correct, no such problems when using discs. I'd probably try the 25 mm ones. By the way, which rims are they? I'd also be interested in some :)

JBC

by JBC

Farsports Disc Tubulars, 38mm

Jens Westergren

by Jens Westergren

Looking to build 4 sets of carbon tubular CX disc wheels with center lock hubs. Has anyone seen a rim similar to the one mentioned below, but with a lower profile than 38 mm? More like 25-30 mm? With a descent price…
Basically I'm looking for a budget version of a Enve MTB XC 29er tubular both with a center lock 11 speed hub… are there such wheels?

preludervtec

by preludervtec

JBC wrote:Farsports Disc Tubulars, 38mm

Were you able to get a price quote on those? I emailed them last week about them and never got a response. If you did get a quote, how much were they?

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

preludervtec wrote:
JBC wrote:Farsports Disc Tubulars, 38mm

Were you able to get a price quote on those? I emailed them last week about them and never got a response. If you did get a quote, how much were they?

about 100usd/pcs, not including the shipping, i think 23mm wide is perfer for cyclocross.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Jens Westergren wrote:Looking to build 4 sets of carbon tubular CX disc wheels with center lock hubs. Has anyone seen a rim similar to the one mentioned below, but with a lower profile than 38 mm? More like 25-30 mm? With a descent price…
Basically I'm looking for a budget version of a Enve MTB XC 29er tubular both with a center lock 11 speed hub… are there such wheels?

http://www.light-bicycle.com/tubular-mt ... _v51GPxw1I

ph445

by ph445

Front 23 Rear 25

Subira

by Subira

I have a pair of the Light-Bicycle rims just landed, ready for my second wheelbuild.

I have the 23mm width / 32 hole / Tubulars, in the 3k finish. Rims weigh in at: 318gr and 322gr respectively. Quality looks good.

Their communucation was very good throughout, they quote that they are using Toray T700 carbon which swung it for me over other chinese brands, rims were $133 each, but you might get a deal for bulk.

Mine have the basalt coating on the rims even though they are for a disc build, thought they may get repurposed at some point.

I would post a picture if I could figure out how to do it, but in fairness they look just like the pics on their website.

I went with the 23mm rim as the back end on the existing Felt F1X is quite tight for clearance, and their 25mm 'U-shaped' rim is only listed in a 45mm as a tubular.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I have 2 pairs of Light-Bicycle rims and a 3rd set on the way. Both sets built up easy without any issues and came in lighter than advertised. Best combination of value and performance I've found.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

boots2000

by boots2000

Anyone have a set of disc brake clinchers with Light-Bicycle shallow wider clincher. I think it is 24mm?
What is your wheel weight?

josephtroppo

by josephtroppo

Just to confirm what I've read; do you guys advise 23mm over 25mm for cyclocross?

I've switched to 23mm which was a huge improvement stability wise, so I'd reckon 25mm is even more of an improvement..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com