Sram CX 11sp: what I don't like on the first look

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

I didn't install it yet but I see the left brake lever has no spring that pulls the lever back after you have pulled and released it.
Actually it relies on the rebound of the brakes only.
In my case, I use the left lever for the rear brake and I also run a full cable housing, this means there is much more friction between the cable and the cable housing ... so I would need the spring on the lever to help pulling it back quicker once released
Not sure how strong the springs of the rear brake are, hopefully I don't have to push the lever back when the grease in the cable housing dries up and perhaps some dust/mud will get in

Come on SRAM, this is a very basic thing ... even 5$ lever have the rebound spring. I'm very disappointed !

Chello

by Chello

Your logic is flawed. Your brake rebound is the only thing that pulls the cable taught in the first place. Having a spring return the lever to its native position will not compensate for the problem you're describing.

If you have enough cable drag to cause problems with the CX1 lever you would end up with issues with any setup.

If this ends up being the case, you're going to need a brake cable setup that uses full length sealed liners.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vcnz

by vcnz

The brake rebound pulls the cable of course, but the spring on the levers help a lot, and I think that's the reason why all the gear shifting levers of all brands available on the market have it.
If it was not needed, it wouldn't be there.
Also, I have that spring on the right lever and not on the left. That's odd and I don't like it ! Come on Sram... cheap Chinese stuff would be better than this
The left lever is just like the road lever, they simply took the shifting system out which includes the spring.
I wonder how hard would have been for Sram to place a little spring in there...

Chello

by Chello

Again, you're not understanding what's actually going on. The only thing that holds the right lever is the shift paddle. Try pulling just the shift paddle to the bar and the brake lever will swing free, there is no dedicated spring for any of their brake levers.

Also the return spring in a brake lever will do nothing to overcome cable drag. While a spring would put the lever back to its original position, it will not eliminate cable slack you may have from to much friction in the system.

You should throw the whole thing together and see how it rides. I'm betting the brake lever won't be an issue.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Chello's right, and the same is true for Campag levers, no spring to return the lever
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

vcnz

by vcnz

when I say
vcnz wrote:The left lever is just like the road lever, they simply took the shifting system out which includes the spring...

I think it's clear the shifting lever holds the spring ! so they took the shifting mechanism out, therefore the spring is not there anymore. I'm not saying this doesn't work, but for sure the fact that levers give me different feeling is odd ! especially because I have the rear brake on the left as I said, so I'm sure the difference in responsiveness of both levers will be noticeable

For sure this is not going to slow me down, but it's a detail that Sram could have taken care of without almost no effort, and I think this is expected as this is not cheap stuff

grover

by grover

Not an issue

1- use good sealed cables
2- maintain your bike

As an aside, if you really wanted good brakes for CX you would have got the disc brake version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com