Disc Wheel Rim Options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

So I'm looking for disc wheel rim options. I currently have a set of Velocity Major Toms built up and they aren't bad but I would like something lighter than their 408g weight. The parameters are they need to be tubular and available in 28h and 32h as that is what my extra DT Swiss hubs are. The ENVE XC tubulars are an options but I'm curious if anybody has found any other options out there.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

mentok

by mentok

what size tubulars do you intend to run on them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

If you are not averse to importing from China, Xiamen iPlay has the IP-RM930T carbon fiber tubular rims. While my experience is with the companies carbon disc cross frameset, based on my experiences racing/riding wheels built on Enve Twenty9 XC tubular rims, although at ~360 grams, they are not near as light as the Enve's, seems like a 30mm wide, 30mm deep carbon tubular rim would provide a very nice ride for CX/Gravel surface applications.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

@mentok Would typically be running some 32-36mm cross tires or 28-30mm FMB Paris Roubaix or Challenge Strada Bianchi

@ms6073 I looked at those but I was hoping for a little more weight savings. The ENVEs are around 270-280g and I was wondering if there was an alternative in the 300-320g range. Also, I've had 3 pairs of China rims and while they aren't bad, found that they seem to come in higher than claimed in weight and the quality hasn't always been great. Would be willing to pay a little more to get something lighter and better quality.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)