Xiamen Iplay IP-105-D

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

motorapido

by motorapido

I'm looking at getting one of these frame-sets from Iplay for my next cyclocross build and was after opinions from anybody whose built or has ridden one. i can find plenty of reviews and build comments on the FR602 frame. but not much on the IP105D.

I like the look of the 105 and the appeal of the fully internal hose/cable routings,

For the build i'm looking a going with hydraulic brakes and Di2. A custom setup of Formula RZ callipers and lever bodies with modified Ultegra Di2 brake/shift lever and hood covers.
Mainly because i got these parts for less than the normal price of the Di2 shifters and it looks an easy build along the lines of the Formula RR1 brakes

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I built up IP-105-D framesets for the wife and I but opted to use Enve's disc brake cross forks and although I got the frames late July last year and had no issues in my dealings with Xiamen iPlay but did not race last season so the only miles I have logged are gravel/grass/trail miles but we really like the bikes.
I built our bikes up with Dura Ace 7900 shifters/derailleurs, Hollowtech cranks (46/36 and 44/34) and opted for TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes paired with Shimano's 6-bolt Icetech rotors and brake performance is as solid as mechanical can be. The internal cable routing is nice, but is also a pain as the frame did not come with liners so I spent some time fishing liners and ran liners for the shift cables and full length brake housing for the brakes. I cannot stress enough the use of liners otherwise changing shift cables can be a very tedious affair and the cable bracket under the bottom bracket makes for a very tight fit with full length rear mechanical brake housing. Finally, for mechanical disc brakes, this may be specific to the TRP's but the cable routing where it exits the rear stay just ahead of the brake caliper makes for somewhat of a sharp angle which may not be an issue for different calipers or hydraulic as the hoses are more flexible.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

motorapido

by motorapido

Hi thanks for the info, i think i saw your comments on another forum about your experience with the cabling, would be grateful if you could post any photos of yours built up. I've been dealing with Peter at Xiamen and will have to ask him about the cable liner guides, the photo's look like they now come with some tubes to help you pull the cables through. Did you have along lead time for your frames, i'm being quoted 40 to 60 days. Thanks for your input, just waiting for a payment request and the wait will begin.

ms6073

by ms6073

Afraid this is the only image I have that shows just the bikes as the rest are from holiday in Pennsylvania last year.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

motorapido

by motorapido

Nice, thanks for the photo.
Paid for my frame-set yesterday so now the wait begins, most of the parts are going to get stripped of my current cross bikes a Blue Norcross SL, so hopefully with the sale of the frame-set, brakes and wheels i should just about cover the cost of the frame and new wheels.

The build will hopefully be,
Frame-set, Xiamen IP 105 D size54, 3K matt finish BB30.
Bars USE summit Aluminium,
Stem FSA OS99,
Seat post Thomson Elite layback,
Saddle Specialized Phenom,
Seat post clamp KCNC,
Bottom bracket, KCNC,
Chainset, FSA SLK, 46 34
Pedals, XT spd,
Shifters, Ultegra Di2 6770,
Brakes, Formula RX, with custom mounts and actuated by modified Ultegra brake levers if it works out,
i'll owe one of the cad guys at work a few beers if this works out.
Front and rear mechs, Ultegra Di2 6770,

Any suggestions for the wheels would be appreciated, at the moment the plan is it will get used as a winter road bike as well so that kinda rules out Stans iron cross rims due to the low pressure, and i will probably run clinchers most of the time.
i've a set of Ringle flea disc hubs and a set of American classics i could strip out of some MTB wheel-sets if i had to, and then get built with some decent rims, Stans crests are a possible as i already have them on my 29er and they are light and stiff enough for me.

a few beers if this idea works

Marin

by Marin

Considered getting carbon bars and post from the frame vendor/ebay/aliexpress? You can get more carbon and save weight for peanuts. And a kalloy uno 7 stem of course.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

Marin wrote:Considered getting carbon bars and post from the frame vendor/ebay/aliexpress? You can get more carbon and save weight for peanuts. And a kalloy uno 7 stem of course.
Last edited by weeni on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

motorapido

by motorapido

a short update,
I'm still waiting for the frame set but it should be shipped next tuesday all being well and am getting it in UD finish, as the 3k would be another 25 days, but the rest of the build is starting to come together.

have gone for a one piece bar stem combo in carbon from Xiamen I-play and the quality looks good and weight is OK-ish at 405grammes for bar and stem.

Wheels are, WTB frequency I19 rims, laced to American Classic disc hubs with a front 9mm through axle and rear 10mm through axle with DT rws QR axles, I'm hoping these will keep the fork and rear end nice and solid. laced up with DT swiss revolution spokes, these should come out at somewhere around 1500 grammes.

The brake/shift levers have been a bit tricky to work out but are getting there, i'm looking at making some carbon fibre bodies to fit over the brake master cylinders with the standard Ultegra rubber hoods over the top. With a large flat pad extending of the back of them that will be bonded to the tops of the bars to spread my weight, as i'm pretty sure that the 4mm bolts holding the master cylinder onto the bar won't take my weight with the shocks of rough trails or bunny hops.

i'll post some picks this week hopefully.

sufferfest69

by sufferfest69

I've got one of these frames. Nice and light but one big problem is the terrible toe overlap with the frame. This is pretty bad for cyclocross racing. Tight 180 degree turns are trouble. I have a 52cm frame, 170mm cranks and 9.5 shoes. If I had to do it over I'd get the FM059.

Look at the white frame in the photo here and imagine your shoe/cleat attached to the crank...terrible overlap.

http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1589

motorapido

by motorapido

I'd read that a few people had issues with toe overlap on the smaller frame sizes, i'm hoping that the geometry of the 54 will be ok.

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

sufferfest69 wrote:I've got one of these frames. Nice and light but one big problem is the terrible toe overlap with the frame. This is pretty bad for cyclocross racing. Tight 180 degree turns are trouble. I have a 52cm frame, 170mm cranks and 9.5 shoes. If I had to do it over I'd get the FM059.

Look at the white frame in the photo here and imagine your shoe/cleat attached to the crank...terrible overlap.

http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1589

show the completed bicycle pictures will better, thanks!
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I tried a 56 version of this frame and had no toe over lap (170 cranks 32" leg)

ms6073

by ms6073

sufferfest69 wrote:I have a 52cm frame, 170mm cranks and 9.5 shoes. If I had to do it over I'd get the FM059.

Always had toe overlap having previously ridden 2012/2013 Ridley X-Night (54), then the FM059 (size 56) and now IP-105-D in size 56, all with 175mm crank arms, and size 42 (US 8.5) shoes.
- Michael

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

What commercial brand uses this mould do you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

I finally got my IP105-D built up

Running rs685 hydraulic brakes, 1x11.
h son Archtype + novatec

also a set of tubs : BOR xmd 309 on novatec hubs

Have found no overlap issues. Think i'd like 172 or 175 crank

Rode a very muddy cross race sunday and chain stayed on fine (and this was running a 10 speed powerlink with on an 11 speed chain)