11 speed disc hubs

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SimbaDK

by SimbaDK

I'm building up a Dirty Disco with the new 11 speed Shimano 105 as soon as the groupset is released. But I'm having issues finding decent wheels and would like to build some myself, but there are so few hubs to choose from.
I have found some novatecs for discs that are 11speed ready, but nowhere in europe where they can be purchased.
What other options are there?

I'm a relatively light guy weighing in at 72kg/160lbs and would like to buildsomething lighter than the Mavic Crossones that I might buy and use untill more hub choices start to appear.

Thank you.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SimbaDK

by SimbaDK

Thank you, I missed that one.
But are those two really the only options?
I wish shimao would release an 11 speed xt hub soon...

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Bikehubstore is not in Europe. You can purchase Novatecs from ebay (from Taiwan).
And Shimano 5800 is available on bike24.com and bike-components.de.

P.S I´m building also CX 11s wheels at the moment: 40mm tubs + Novatec 711/712 + Sapim Lasers/Race.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

liv2bike

by liv2bike

What is the rear spacing? What is your budget?

What about Chris King R45's? White Industries? There are some options out there. Stan's has some pre-builts as well.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Don't understand you guys.

Is there something that compels you to buy within the EU?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

kame

by kame

I have been thinking a bit about the issue of 11-speed disc hubs for a cyclocross bike with 135mm rear spacing:
What about a DT240s disc (MTB) hub with a 11-speed (road) freehub?

It is possible to buy the freehub alone to upgrade 10-speed road hubs to 11-speed. It will probably fit, but has any one tried it?
In meiner Kette fehlt kein Glied, wenn die Lust von hinten zieht.

SimbaDK

by SimbaDK

Ok, so to specify, the OLD on my frame is 135mm which means MTB spacing. The problem that arises is that since MTB hasn't really moved into 11 speed yet the 11speed mtb spaced hubs are only starting to come out. CK, WI and so on are unfortunately not within my budget.

bikerjulio wrote:Don't understand you guys.

Is there something that compels you to buy within the EU?

The reason why I'm prefering to shop within the EU is because of the 30% that is added to the value in customs and import taxes when buying outside of the european union :?

TurboKoo wrote:CX75

This is almost perfect and exactly why I asked in here :D I guess its down to novatec or shimano then.

I read that the 5800 group will also be available with hydraulics, so does that mean that I should just sit tight and wait for a 105 disc to come out? I have to admit that I have a small crush on mid-level shimano hubs because they are mile eaters.

@kame, I have no idea, but let me know when you try it!

ms6073

by ms6073

kame wrote:What about a DT240s disc (MTB) hub with a 11-speed (road) freehub? ...It will probably fit, but has any one tried it?
That is a good question and a task I intend to tackle next week with our Enve Twenty9 XC wheelsets which were built on DT240s 6-bolt hubs. Based on recent experience converting a Reynolds SDV66 road wheel, I think it should work as the 11-speed freehub included a new end cap so in the case of the disc brake hubs, I think it should be the axle spacing that makes it work and not the dimensions of the end cap.

Update - just perused the 2014 DT Swiss tech manual where I note that although the 240s disc mtb rear hubs have a driver for SRAM XD (11-speed), there is currently not an indication for 11-speed Shimano. So I placed a call to the tech department of a relatively well know US company that specializes in building wheels (play on words intended) 8) indicates that yes, you can use the 11-speed road freehub and end cap with the 135mm rear hubs. In our case, we are running DTs road thru axles so I would either have to drill out the 11-speed end cap or continue using the 10-speed caps which would spread the rear triangle something like ~1.5mm.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm getting a set built at the moment on Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, which Hope say are compatible with 11 speed. Had a set of their road hubs for a few years and they have been really good, so hopefully these will be the same!

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

ms6073 wrote:
kame wrote: So I placed a call to the tech department of a relatively well know US company that specializes in building wheels (play on words intended) 8) indicates that yes, you can use the 11-speed road freehub and end cap with the 135mm rear hubs. In our case, we are running DTs road thru axles so I would either have to drill out the 11-speed end cap or continue using the 10-speed caps which would spread the rear triangle something like ~1.5mm.

I'm using a DT Swiss 240 Centerlock hub that is set up for 10mm DT RWS with an 11spd freehub and have not spacing issues.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

ms6073

by ms6073

Tamu8104 wrote:I'm using a DT Swiss 240 Centerlock hub that is set up for 10mm DT RWS with an 11spd freehub and have not spacing issues.
Thanks for that as I was not really wanting to drill out the 9mm QR end caps for the 10mm RWS Thru bolt.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com