lightening up a 2014 Kona Jake the Snake

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

amelio

by amelio

hey guys,

I just got a 2014 Kona Jake the Snake and I'd like to take a pound or so off it. I've got a park scale and it weights 22lbs 4 oz if I remember correctly. That's with Shimano 105 pedals. (i'm not sure how to tell the series of them)

I'd like to drop a pound or so and don't want to spend a fortune. Was thinking new ultegra 6800 pedals (260g) and a new sl-k crank to replace the stock FSA Gossamer Compact BB30. I can't seem to find this crank on FSA's site but I think it's 930g or something. The crank and tires, plus pedals and I should be good. I want to do a compact crank to get better climbing with the 34T front ring. I'd like to do an 11-30 cassette if I could...

the tires are 360g and was thinking of doing some tracer pro's which are about 280g.

here are the specs:

RAME MATERIAL Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
SIZES 47, 49, 53, 56, 59, 61cm
REAR SHOCK n/a
FORK Kona Full Carbon CX Disc
CRANKARMS FSA Gossamer Compact BB30
CHAINRINGS 36/46t
B/B FSA Press Fit BB30
PEDALS n/a
CHAIN KMC X10
FREEWHEEL Shimano 105 11-28t 10 spd
CHAINGUIDE n/a
F/D Shimano 105
R/D Shimano Ultegra
SHIFTERS Shimano 105
BRAKE CALIPERS Hayes CX Expert
FRONT BRAKE ROTOR Hayes L Series 160mm
REAR BRAKE ROTOR Hayes L Series 140mm
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano 105
HEADSET FSA No.57B
HANDLEBAR Kona Road Bar
STEM Kona XC/Road Deluxe
SEATPOST Kona Double Clamp w/Offset
SEAT CLAMP Kona Clamp
GRIPS Kona Cork Tape
SADDLE WTB Volt Comp
FRONT HUB Alex CXD7 Wheelset
REAR HUB Alex CXD7 Wheelset
SPOKES Alex CXD7 Wheelset
RIMS Alex CXD7 Wheelset
FRONT TIRE Clement MXP 700x33c
REAR TIRE Clement MXP 700x33c
PAINT COLOR Matt Lime w/Black & White
EXTRAS n/a

thanks for your help

CXTony

by CXTony

It might be more than you are willing to spend, but pick up some new wheels! That will easily drop more than a pound if you get something light. Are you racing cross, gravel, or road? For wider tires (cross or gravel) I would recommend the Stans Iron Cross.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amelio

by amelio

hey thank for your reply Tony, sorry for the delay in getting back. You're right those Iron Cross wheels are really light and not a bad price either. I've got a friend with an older Jake the Snake w/mini-v's and he rebuilt his wheels using Mavic Open Pro's and it really lightened it up.

I think this is the crankset on bike but they tweak the names a bit trying to make it specific to the Kona:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... 6-CRANKSET

Mine doesn't mention "Pro" so maybe it's even heavier than this 770g version?

The other area I was looking at is swapping out the groupset for a used Ultegra set. I think that would shave a half pound or more.

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Componen ... /cc-8.aspx

My brakes are Hayes Expert and are 208g (Caliper only)
The Avid Road SL's are 170g but I'd like to see how these Hayes work after they're fully broken in. If they don't get much better new brakes would be a good option.

Any other ideas guys? Thanks for the help so far.

amelio

by amelio

CXTony...I took your advice and picked up a set of Stan's 2012 Iron Cross wheels w/Clement PDX Tires and Stan's sealant installed. I ignored the warning and told my friend to keep pumping past 45 psi...they blew off the rim at 65. What a mess! I should have done a little more research before getting the Iron Crosses. They're really light but won't take the pressure I want to run. I weighed them when I got home and they're 1lb 1oz lighter, per wheel than the stockers, very happy with that. They also came with an ultegra 11-28 cassette which is lighter than the stock 105 cassette of the same ratio (43g less).

To run higher pressure I ordered some Stan's Alpha 340's on sale for $95 each. They're the same weight (385g) but aren't pressure limited like the Iron Crosses are. And some 28mm 226g Compass 28's and 77g Michelin tubes. Should put the whole bike around 20lbs, hopefully a hair under, with pedals. :D

I'm wondering what I could save with the seatpost and handlebar?

small aside: The FSA Gossamer BB30 has seemed to develope a creak sound in the BB, does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks again for the help

amelio

by amelio

Juanmoretime wrote:Why such high pressure? I do have a set of Alpha 340 Comps on my cross bike but set up with cross tires I run about 35 psi no problem.

I'm looking for more speed on the way to any offroading I do, and sometimes it's just all road so I find I can really fly with 80psi. :)

I know it's total overkill on the trail and I'm not getting the best traction with such a hard tire. On one ride I turned around on a sidewalk and I tire slid along a raised sidewalk slab instead of rolling up onto it. Couldn't unclip in time and down I went! It was so fast I had no time to think about it. I've often wondered if a lower pressure would have allowed the tire to roll up on the concrete ridge better? Was running the Clement MXP's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fwinns

by Fwinns

I'm reviving this thread a bit...
I'm more of a mtb/marathon racer, but I'll be moving soon to a flatter region without much trails, so I'm thinking about buying a cyclocross bike as an everyday/training bike, and occasionally to do some CX racing once my MTB season is over.
I quite like the 2014 and 2015 kona jake the snake (apart from the pressfit BB...), but I can't find any reliable data on the frameset weight. Do you happen to have it?
Otherwise what are you general thoughts on the bike?

Thanks!