Carbon tubular and clincher wheels (disc)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

Looking at a cross disc build. Want something pretty light. Anyone tried the farsports 38mm clincher and tubular wheels/rims?

What's the deal with the U shaped rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

You can get away with lower pressures in a tubular. So I wouldn't bother with a clincher for cross. And if you insist on going clincher, why on earth use carbon rims?

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

Clincher for training and as a back up in races if i get a tub puncture

(been running tubulars for 1 season now but using cantis)

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

Why on earth use carbon rims?

Because they are stiffer/lighter?

Certainly a lot going to carbon rims in mountain biking with the Light bicycle rims (AM and DH)

Irish

by Irish

I've used Farsports rims on the road and they have been great. I wouldn't worry about the shape of the profile for cross as aerodynamics are less of a worry there.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have the farsports cx 38mm disc but believe they are clincher only. I use them for on road mainly - they are really robust, plenty stiff and spin up nicely. No complaints from me!!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Should have said, off road I use stans ironcross. I run then tubeless with Bontrager CX0 tyres. From memory, they come up a touch lighter than my Farsports 38mm which have 28mm 4 seasons on them.

CXTony

by CXTony

I have also been considering some tubeless-ready carbon XC/AM rims for a disc build, that way I get lighter weight and tire-changeability. Tubulars can be much better for racing, if you can afford multiple wheelsets.

ms6073

by ms6073

While a little on the heavy side, I think these 30mm wide, carbon fiber disc brake 29er rims are worth a look for building up a nice race day cross wheelset.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

ms6073 wrote:While a little on the heavy side, I think these 30mm wide, carbon fiber disc brake 29er rims are worth a look for building up a nice race day cross wheelset.

Both 29" hooked and hookless available now, so which kind will better for cyclocross using?
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Hey guys. I was looking at the 38mm wheels for the Boone I've decided to build, and I was wondering if anyone had gone with the DT Swiss hubs on the wheels, rather than just the standard Novatec bearings. Here's the link:

http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-161.html

I was considering option 3: DT 240S J-bend Hub, and I e-mailed FarSports, but haven't heard back from them. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

gospastic

by gospastic

I've been using some of those 38mm disc carbon clinchers for a little bit now. 3 cross races so far and everything is okay. They are 24F/28R, I am 160lbs. They weigh 1575g. The Novatec hubs seem adequate. The bearings are pretty good though it seems, they spin forever in the stand.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm heavier than you, and was thinking of 28/28, or even 28/32. I plan on using it for gravel riding, and the last thing I want is a broken spoke or damaged wheel while out on gravel roads.

ms6073

by ms6073

weeni wrote:Both 29" hooked and hookless available now, so which kind will better for cyclocross using?

Neither - the rims I referenced are tubulars.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

trickydisco78

by trickydisco78

i ended up going for the BOR XMD 309 tubular rim which is coming in lighter than a lot of carbon rims (345g)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com