CX70 FD with 11 speed Shimano?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

I'm thinking of building up my new rig with the yet-to-be-released hydraulic/mechanical Shimano STI's and disc brakes. The frame has the cables routed over the top. I'd prefer to avoid using a pulley which makes my most attractive option the slightly older CX70 FD from Shimano. Will this FD work with the 11 speed chain ring spacing and cable pull?

ms6073

by ms6073

Not exactly the answer you are looking for but having run a DA FD-9000 front derailleur with DA 7900 shifters, I think you will find that with the CX-70, as a result of spacing and cable pull, no amount of adjustment will prevent cable rub at one end of the range or the other.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

I always have the umlenker option but something without those hacks would be far better imo. Top-pull fd's just don't seem to be that common...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I am having the same issue with the front derailleur, seeing as my frame does not have a mount for a cable pulley. For Shimano the only option is the CX70 front derailleur, although it is made for 46 chainrings. As such you might need to shave of some of the cage, to make it work with bigger rings.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

If you look here (http://theradavist.com/2013/06/beautiful-bicycle-my-geekhouse-woodville-touring-bike/#1) you will see John Watson's touring. He somehow managed to make a SRAM Force FD work with a top pull system. No idea how he did that :noidea: .

gummee

by gummee

dvincere wrote:I'm thinking of building up my new rig with the yet-to-be-released hydraulic/mechanical Shimano STI's and disc brakes. The frame has the cables routed over the top. I'd prefer to avoid using a pulley which makes my most attractive option the slightly older CX70 FD from Shimano. Will this FD work with the 11 speed chain ring spacing and cable pull?

There's 3 of em on 3 CX bikes in my garage. Work great with both 6800 and 9k shifters.

Maybe not *quite* as slick as the 6800/9k derailleurs, but they work fine.

Otherwise, you're looking at an Umlenker-type solution.

M

grover

by grover

I'm using CX70 top pull with SRAM Force 22 and Praxis Rings. It's worked faultlessly with both 36/46 and 36/52 ring sizes.

I believe Shimano actually list 52 as the biggest ring it's designed for.

CecilLynskey

by CecilLynskey

I know this post has been dormant for a while. I had a brain fade when I posted the first version of this post saying that the CX70 derailleur would not work with Ultegra 6800 11 speed shifters. I'd spent a long time unsuccessfully trying to get the CX70 derailleur to work with 6800 shifters and I was frustrated and angry. I have now got it working, but only after considerable fettling.

I can now clarify that the CX-70 Top Pull derailleur CAN work with Ultegra 6800 shifters. But it might take some time and I suspect success may be dependent on your frame's geometry & the diameter of its seat tube.

I recommend you try setting the lower gear adjustment screw in to its absolute maximum so that it holds the derailleur out at its extreme big ring setting while fixing the cable to the derailleur. You may then need to slightly rotate the DR around the seatpost. On my frame, I had to play a lot with the height of the DR and its orientation to the seat tube—0.5 (or less) of a millimetre made a big difference. Once you've got the derailleur working without rubbing on the big ring, you can then unscrew the inner adjustment screw to its correct setting.

In any case, all is now right with my world. At least, most is now right. Apologies for any offence or misinformation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreuder

by Schadenfreuder

Hi

An old post I know but have some info for anyone coming across this for reference (just like I did)
I got a Cannondale Slate 105 recently and have been changing out some of the components, mainly the crankset for something more hill friendly.
Since I dropped from a 52 to 46 chainring I thought about going for a more 46 friendly FD maybe a Shimano CX70.
Then after looking into what parts ARE actually fitted I found that the FD on the Slate 105 is a Cx70!
http://www.cannondale.com/en/International/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=a70ce39d-3ffd-4ea2-8e7d-699982fcf7c7
So looks like there's no real issues mixing a 10 speed CX70 FD with Shimano 11 Speed crankset, chains and STIs, or at least the 105 models fitted to the Slate.

Cheers