36h rims, decent but not too heavy?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LloydP

by LloydP

I've got some 36h hubs that I'd like to re-use for a new bike, but I'm not doing too well finding some decent 700c/29er rims to lace them up to. I could go 24h and skip some hub holes (that's how they're laced now) but am not sure if that would hold up to the abuse (though it has been fine for XC to date). They are disc hubs, and I'm planning to use the wheels for commuting on our potholed UK roads with a bit of weight on the rack when required. Tires probably up to 40mm depending on what the frame fits.

Any suggestions?

manninen

by manninen

light-bicycle 27mm hookless carbon, atleast. maybe even wider

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

Clincher or tubular rims?

To fit a 40 mm, you can get the DT TK540's. They are box section, immensely strong, beautifully made, and not unreasonably priced.

Kinlin 300's are available in 36 hole, but I can't say I'd put a 40 mm tire on them. They're narrow rims, but for cross they are light and have a deep enough section that they won't load up too much with mud.

Frankly, in clinchers, you can get some screaming deals on weird colors (frost blue, lime green, hammer tone, etc.) in Velocity Deep V's in 36 hole on eBay. Ben's Cycle is clearing out a bunch of colors at about $27 a rim.

In tubulars, Kinlins are available in 36 hole. Not too many choices for tubulars, though, and the better tubular rims like the Hed Belgium tubular and any of the carbon fiber rims don't come in 36.

I was a 36-hole holdout for a while, but honestly, they are like nailing your cleats to your shoes -- the equipment is all disappearing and they are really becoming obsolete. Sooner or later, you just want to get some new hubs in 28 or 32. Rims and spokes are so much better these days that the wheels will be just as solid as 36-spoke wheels with the older poorer rims.

LloydP

by LloydP

Should have said clinchers and disc brakes, sorry.
I'm trying to avoid spending yet more on hubs, but perhaps I should think some more about it...

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm running 36h Open Pro rims for training, touring/gravel and some commuting/errands duty, on shimano disc hubs. Been using various tyres from 23mm road to 32mm CX ones so far. They get the job done.

If I was building the set these days, I would probably give the H Plus Son TB14 a closer look. Slightly wider, and the beautiful finish stays immaculate with disc brakes. Shallow rims will lots of spokes ride great.

SimbaDK

by SimbaDK

Archetypes and TB14's are the new Open Pro. They'll fit anything from 23 to 40mm tyres comfortably and will build into a super strong wheel. Open pro is so narrow that anything bigger than 28's starts to create a lightbulb shape of the tyre which translates into poor cornering with low tire pressure.

jooo

by jooo

LloydP wrote:They are disc hubs, and I'm planning to use the wheels for commuting on our potholed UK roads with a bit of weight on the rack when required.

Velocity offer a number of rims with 36h drilling. Blunts, A23 etc

NoTubes FlowEX comes in 36h.

Pacenti offer a number of 36h rims. If it were my money and I could track down a set of TL28 rims easily enough, I think I'd pick these.

by 11.4

LloydP wrote:Should have said clinchers and disc brakes, sorry.
I'm trying to avoid spending yet more on hubs, but perhaps I should think some more about it...

Disc brakes and road wheel sizes open up some of newer mountain rims. I certainly wouldn't want to ride a smaller tire on those rims (anything under about 28 mm), but if you want a big fat casing on there, just get a 36-hole mountain rim without braking surfaces in the same diameter. Do note that some of those rims get VERY wide, and you may have clearance issues, but if you're talking 42 mm tires, I figure the rim isn't going to be your problem.

LloydP

by LloydP

Looks like the top options are the Velocity Blunt SL and Pacenti TL28. I'm not too worried about the top sizing, but my thoughts this morning are around the minimum tire size for when I want to take it quick on the road (28mm?). Have emailed both companies to find out their take on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com