PF30.. which to choose?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm running a XO crank and it came with the SRAM PF30 BB. but with my frame, they included a FSA PF30 BB.

The FSA is lighter compared to the SRAM... but which to choose to be more reliable or are all BB relatively the same?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

I've found they vary a lot, especially in propensity for creaking. I've had superb experiences with several of the King PF30 BB's -- no creaking, no installation problems, absolutely invisible. The SRAM have had more problems, at least in our hands. The FSA ditto. SRAM does make an adapter that lets you thread a regular English BB into the adapter that's quite nice and sidesteps the whole question. The Praxis is also really nice -- it threads together to lock firmly in place, and you can overhaul it really well -- but the shell doesn't have room for Di2 cable routing on some frames. If you want a simple solution, the King has been perfect in the hands of everyone I've talked to. It's one of the more expensive ones, but it's like a King headset -- you pay and forget about it.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks 11.4. the FSA was 37g vs. SRAM was 41g... so went with FSA. will keep the SRAM for backup if i get creaking issues down the road.

side question though.. when you install the bb.. do you lube? i've read some reviews where they suggest to press in dry to prevent creaking, while others like parlee would recommend using loctite with their BB on the frame.

by 11.4

addictR1 wrote:thanks 11.4. the FSA was 37g vs. SRAM was 41g... so went with FSA. will keep the SRAM for backup if i get creaking issues down the road.

side question though.. when you install the bb.. do you lube? i've read some reviews where they suggest to press in dry to prevent creaking, while others like parlee would recommend using loctite with their BB on the frame.

I've heard both ways but the people I trust the most said to lube it. I've done a couple dozen team bottom brackets and half a dozen others (mostly my own). I've lubed all of them, used the King BB, and have yet to experience a creak.

addictR1

by addictR1

11.4: thats' good to hear.. cuz i lubed it too and it's pressed in along with crankset installed. now the only issue on my cross is i can't use my old DA7800 wheelset cuz the hub doesn't work with the XO cassette i'm running. :( need to shop for new wheelset.. any suggestions?

jooo

by jooo

That doesn't make sense... Why doesn't a 10 speed wheelset work with a 10 speed cassette?

addictR1

by addictR1

Jooo... here is why. There is this rise on the hub teething that preventing the XO cassette from going in.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

Ahh yes, I forgot about the 1st gen aluminum freehub.

If you'd like to use your 7800 wheels and you're willing to give up a bit of range, the Ultegra 12-30 should fit if you exclude the normal spacer.

addictR1

by addictR1

Jooo.. yea I thought about doing that... but at this point probably just get farsport cx wheelset instead.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

by 11.4

addictR1 wrote:11.4: thats' good to hear.. cuz i lubed it too and it's pressed in along with crankset installed. now the only issue on my cross is i can't use my old DA7800 wheelset cuz the hub doesn't work with the XO cassette i'm running. :( need to shop for new wheelset.. any suggestions?

Those hubs were a big stumble for Shimano. Their earlier and later hubs were great. Those not only had idiosyncratic cassettes, but they also tended to break easily. That's why you see them selling for dirt cheap. Don't invest in anything to further the life of those hubs. I'd plan to bite the bullet and get better hubs. If you want to stick with 10-speed cassettes or use the 10-to-11 conversion cassettes that are starting to appear, I'd recommend the 7900 hubs. They are solid and long lasting and, because of the 10-speed thing, selling for cheap. Other than that, I'd just buy Chris King or White Industries in 11-speed. The Whites are very competitively priced and have superb engineering. Cosmetically not quite as nice as Kings but from an engineering standpoint, possibly even a bit better.

addictR1

by addictR1

11.4: thank you. yea.. guess it's probably worth it in the long run to invest in a new set of wheels instead of just replacing the hub on this 7800 wheelset huh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com