just pulled the trigger.. now need some help...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

just pulled a trigger on a 2014 Redline Conquest Team. Supposely, Team comes with canti and 1090g frame and 480g fork.

i want to build this up as a climbing bike later on and use it for touring as well, so was hoping to use XX1 or X01 type with RED22 shifter, but so far, no one at my LBS can confirm if that worked or not.

tried calling SRAM today and they wouldn't talk to me since i'm not a shop tech. :(

anyway.. i want to use dropbar.. can't stand flatbars and would like some suggestions on gearing setup... either 1x10 or 1x11 or 2x10 or 2x11 types.

my knees are bad shape so having granny gears would definitely help, which is why the SRAM 10/42T was so attractive to me. :)

as for brakes, i'll be runing canti.. and did some research and seems most ppl roll with TRP. but so many different types.. not sure which version of the canti from TRP to choose, or if there's other lightweight version which won't break the bank.

thanks..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I did some digging for another thread, not compatible.
Edit:- It was your thread! Do you not read the answers to your questions?

jooo

by jooo

Build it with a 10 speed SRAM MTB drivetrain because it's compatible with their 10 speed road shifters. You can run a small double eg: 42/28 or 39/26 with an 11-36 cassette to give you easy climbing gears.

addictR1

by addictR1

mattr: sorry about that.. totally missed it. my bad... thanks for point it out.

jooo: i think i will go SRAM based on your suggestions. now would the following combo work?

SRAM RED shifters - 10 speed
SRAM RED YAW FD or SRAM 10 speed FD?
TRUVATIV X9 10-Speed Crankset (36-22t)
SRAM PG-1070 Cassette (12/36t)
SRAM X9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur - Long cage or can I get away with medium cage for 36t?
Avid Shorty Ultimate Canti Brake (Front and Rear)

jooo

by jooo

Medium cage RD is fine. The long cage is for a triple or FS bikes with a lot of chain movement. A road FD may be fine, but with 36/22 you could be better off running a MTB FD because the cage is better suited to such small rings. This does depend a lot on the chainline, FD type and the frame itself - things like the ST angle, where the FD mounts, how much clearance you get on the chainstay etc.

If you want cranks with a narrower Q-factor, you could investigate using a 104/64 or 120/80 combo with something like Force22/S95x series cranks arms that have a removable spider. Someone had a good blog post a while ago with heaps of chainline measurements for 'odd' SRAM combos but I can't seem to find it now. Pretty much the reverse of this: (MTB arms with road spider/rings)

addictR1

by addictR1

Jooo... thanks. Guess I'll stick to mtb FD in this case.

btw.. you mentioned medium cage would work for the RD... but i see if i'm running this combo 38/24t & 11/36t, SRAM suggest to use long cage.

see here:
http://goo.gl/IMcwDK

could it be they are just being conservative?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com