Looking to build a CX bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

... With SRAM XX1 group set. Question is, instead of the grip style trigger, can I use the SRAM bar end type of shifter instead?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Could you not just use cx1?

mattr

by mattr

But pretty sure roadaand mtb 11 speed is compatible

mattr

by mattr

Apparently they have a differentpull ratio :(

addictR1

by addictR1

after doing some digging.. heard from some LBS that the sram bar end may or may not work with the XX1 group... :( waiting for SRAM to reply with positive reply.

grover

by grover

The SRAM road 10 and 11 speed shifters and derailleurs are interchangeable in terms of cable pull. This is also interchangeable with SRAM mtb 10 speed.

eg. 11 speed road shifter works with 10 speed road derailleur or mtb derailleur to shift across 11 cogs. There may be some very minor differences in cage width (wider for 10 speed chain) but in the real world it works without issue with an 11 speed chain.

XX1/X01 11 speed uses a different cable pull which is only compatible with the XX1/X01 trigger or gripshift.

If you want to use SRAM road levers (or aero bar levers) whether they be 10 or 11 speed, with a mtb derailleur you should use the 10 mtb speed components. If it is chain retention you want then an x9 or x0 type 2 works well (this is my setup with double ring). If you're only wanting to use a single ring then use the x01 10speed rear derailleur (sram make three versions of x01 - 11 speed, 10 speed and 7 speed DH).

These will then shift across however many cogs the shifter is designed for. Note that the derailleur is designed for cassettes up to 36 tooth so will sit along way away from closer range cassettes. If you want to use a closer range cassette use the xo DH. This is not a type 2 derailleur. However it has a higher spring tension as stock for chain retention and a shorter paralellogram designed to follow a close range cassette (maximim 28 tooth).

There are currently no derailleurs that work with road shifters that accomodate the xx1/xo1 10-42 cassette. Due to the different 11 speed spacing versus 11 speed road cassettes and due to the increased b-tension requirement.

If that's confusing tell me the setup you want to run and I'll let you know if it'll work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks for the detail info. Maybe easier to just build another road bike.. lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk