Anyone used one of the cx specific shoes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

commendatore

by commendatore

My toes are always cold in the winter months and I've been eyeing the northwave hammer cx. The built in neoprene sock looks warm and toasty and I don't mind having another shoe for the warmer months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

I haven't actually worn them.....but have had a good look at them in hand. They are a remake of the older circa 1998 "winter" race shoe (which I still have).
They are light weight and unvented.....so they work when it's cool out, which for me is about 40ish F. But not good for longer rides when it's really cold. It depends on how your feet handle cold.
If you're talking about temps below 40F....I'd recommend the Celcius or Artic Celcius.
I have the Artics and have worn them in temps from -10F to 50F comfortably...with thicker socks when it's colder and thinner socks at warmer temps. After 50....your feet get pretty warm in them...
I would recommend trying them on first with thick and medium socks....you want a little extra room even with thick socks, but not too much room.

commendatore

by commendatore

My feet seem to handle the cold pretty poorly. Most of my "cold" Cx workouts and races are between 30 and 40, so maybe these are still a good option. Im Usually out for 90 minutes or so. After this last winter I can't even imagine having sweaty feet, it sounds glorious.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

I hear you on this past winter. I live in New England....we had a fairly warm cross season...and then a long, cold and snowy winter. I have ridden my fatbike almost every day...only skipped 6 days all year.
I would highly recommend the Artic. They are built a little on the large size to fit thick socks.
Like I said...try them on with different socks if you can.