CX/Wet Commuter frame suggestions

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

apdg

by apdg

Hi there. I've been lurking here for quite a while, stealing all your great opinions and suggestions. I'm starting to Weenie-ify a couple of my bikes and would be grateful for some input on something in particular.

I just upgraded my 'nice day' bike with Red 22, giving me an Ultegra SL group in search of a frame. I'm looking to build something light and fun to ride to work in the rain on (~10mi one way). There's a moderate chance I'll be getting talked into some light touring here and there, so eyelets may be a requirement as well. It'd be handy to keep my Ultegra brakes, but if I have to swap them out for canti brakes to fit a CX frame, that's not the end of the world (an engineer friend and I are working on some super low profile carbon fenders, so I'm not too worried about clearances). Un-fancy but fun ("fun" roughly translates to "light" in my book), is sort of what I'm going for; avoiding the spendy.

One strong contender is the Pedal Force CX2. Around 1280g (56cm) and $700. Then this beautiful thing made me consider the FM058, though it lacks eyelets. Once I realized I could do it all much cheaper and not much heavier with aluminum, I considered the Motobecane Fantom CX. That might not be fun on a tour, but I honestly haven't been on an aluminum frame in ages (I very much enjoy carbon), so I can't recall how bad an idea that would be. After finding another half a dozen semi-viable options, around here and on other bits of the internet, that didn't quite speak to me, I thought I'd seek the input of others.

Basically, a lightweight, sub-$700 frame, most likely of the CX variety. Can anyone speak for the frames I mentioned, or suggest something that fits this role better? Perhaps there is some no-name ti frame out there that I'd be remiss not to consider, or some other magical carbon device?

Many thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Take a look at Planet X... Uncle John (Al) or Kaffenback (CrMo).

apdg

by apdg

Thanks! Interestingly, right before I saw your post, I was locked up next to an Uncle John and was checking it out. The "similar topics" showed me some threads I didn't see through searching and have some more options.