Ridley X-Fire disc or Ridley X-Night disc??

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ridley X-Fire disc or Ridley X-Night disc??

Ridley X-Fire disc custom bike (SRAM Red22 hydraulic disc, Zipp 303 disc tubulars)
70%
Ridley X-Night disc complete bike(SRAM Red22 hydraulic disc, 4ZA T30 wheels)
30%

Total votes: 10

GeEk

by GeEk

I'm currently planning my new CX bikes and thinking about two options:
1. Ridley X-Fire disc custom bike with SRAM Red22, hydraulic disc breaks, mono setup with absoluteblack CX chain rings, Ritchey WCS stem, handle bar and seat post, Zipp 303 disc tubulars.
2. Ridley X-Night disc complete bike with SRAM Red22, hydraulic disc breakes, 4ZA components and T30 wheels. In this case I will remove the front derailleur and also use a absoluteblack CX chain ring instead.

I'm not sure if I should rather spend more money on the wheels (Zipp 303 disc tubulars) or the frame ( Ridley X-Night disc)...

Which option would you choose??

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Personally I would spend more money on wheels. Although the 4ZA wheels look decent too :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

One thing to consider is the frames have slightly different geo now. The X-Night was updated to have a more American cross geo (lower BB, lower HT, etc) while the X-Fire is still the older style geo. The X-Night is also based off the new Helium SL and is now significantly lighter.

If it was me, I'd go X-Night based on the frame.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

vcnz

by vcnz

Without doubts, I would get the X-Night. If you have to buy the complete bike, I would sell the T30 while they are still new and buy a Chinese tubular wheel set, much lighter and cheaper than Zipp.
I wouldn't waste money for Zipp wheels. With the same amount you can maybe buy 2 or even 3 wheel sets from China

voodoojar

by voodoojar

no doubt get 2 chinese wheelsets so you can have a backup set.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

This is CX. +1 on multiple sets of less expensive wheels. If you're doing it right, you'll be trashing them!

I passed on getting a cheap SRAM Red22 Hydro team bike this season. The ergonomics suck on them and they're ugly. IMO. And I say this as someone with SRAM on all his bikes. Holding out for Shimano Ultegra DI2 Hydro (R785).
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

vcnz

by vcnz

I agree on Sram RED 22: ugly and no ergonomics at all

GeEk

by GeEk

I finally orderd a X-Fire frame set... But in the first step I will build the bike with a DT Swiss 240s / Mavic Reflex wheel set.
I also decided to go with a mechanical disc brake and to wait with hydros until the get smaller :mrgreen:
As soon as I will start with the buildup of the bike I will post Pictures here...

Anyway, thanks for your replys and votes :thumbup:

weenie

by weenie

The red 22 is "ugly" but i think the ergonomics are good. If anything i like the bigger grip. And my hands are small.
What kind of chinese wheels do you guys take usually, far sports 38x23 tubulars?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

weenie wrote:The red 22 is "ugly" but i think the ergonomics are good. If anything i like the bigger grip. And my hands are small.
What kind of chinese wheels do you guys take usually, far sports 38x23 tubulars?

I'd like to know too :)

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

The Mudclearance, and the weight, of the X-Fire is ridicoulous

Frame in 50 Cm( center-Top) was 1320 Gramm

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

Just chiming in to support what others have said, more wheel $$ is always nice to give you a versatile arsenal on race day. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, there are plenty of fast racers here in the Northeast (U.S.) that race steel and do well (the Sachs guys come to mind).

sks939

by sks939

I am thinking of an X-Fire disc as well, but with the new Shimano R785 hydraulic brake system. Also, I have a pair of cheap Chinese wheels that I bought for CX, but they are so thin and the mounting area so V-shaped that I don't think they're a good fit for CX tubulars, even with Belgian tape. I think I will get a used pair of Zipp 303s or the PSI-Met wheels with Velocity Major Tom Aluminum rims.

Steve

nga

by nga

elmar schrauth wrote:The Mudclearance, and the weight, of the X-Fire is ridicoulous

Frame in 50 Cm( center-Top) was 1320 Gramm

Mine (2014 model, size 50) was 1260 g with seatpost collar (heavy) and 4 x bottle cage bolts.

stormur

by stormur

GeEk wrote:I finally orderd a X-Fire frame set... But in the first step I will build the bike with a DT Swiss 240s / Mavic Reflex wheel set.

Mavic Reflex can be not best idea for CX … It's asking for troubles… and exchange of rim- sooner than later .

Looking for light rims Crono F20 will be way better choice. If light , box , low profile rims for cyclocross can be considered as a good choice ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com