Alternative to Open Pro's for CX training?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jockster

by jockster

I am going to build up a wheelset for CX training with a pair of 32-spoke 6800 Ultegra hubs, but what options are there to the classic Open Pro's that are comparable both in price and stability?

I would want something that is affordable to replace whenever I wear them out, but also something that is strong enough to survive training for a season or two. Canti brakes on the bike.

Thanks
Last edited by jockster on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

What about a wider rim like the H+ Son Archetype or the Velocity A23? (I assume you are using rim brakes?) Maybe the choice would depend on your weight/riding style. The A23 is also tubeless-ready; the Archetype may convert fine to tubeless too, not sure. (I have used the Archetype for road tubeless, but not low-pressure which tends to be more particular about bead hook, etc.)

mattr

by mattr

If its only for training, Open Sport. Similar shape to Open Pros, cheaper. Slightly heavier.
Or the A119 (Heavier again than open sport)

I'm using a mixture of Open Pro, Open Sport, Stans and some unbranded OE rims on our CX bikes, all of them have gone tubeless without any issues (if you are after that). If not, they have all run up to 35mm tyres/tubes with no issues at pressures from around 20 psi, up to nearly 50 psi (no squirming/rolling or blowing off). One pair of the stans wheels doubles up as a spare pair for the MTB, so they have run 2"+ tyres at less than 20 psi with no issues........

The archetype and TB14 from H Plus Son both look very good, if you can get a them at a good price. As do the Velocity A23.

jockster

by jockster

@mattr: Would you be able to feel a difference between Open pros and Open sports? Does the difference motivate the price?

mattr

by mattr

Only in your wallet.
On the bike, with half a kilo of mud stuck to each tyre, and riding through squidy muck or across gravel/sand no. Most of the difference is in the tyre selection.

And as its for training, does it really matter *that* much?
You'll probably be running cheaper, heavier tyres, heavier tubes (unless tubeless), wearing a lot more kit and not actually racing......

On the other hand, they feel a whole lot different to running mid section carbons and tubular tyres at €100 a end....... but if you were in that sort of market, you wouldn't be asking the question! :wink:

jockster

by jockster

@mattr: Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear, really.
No use for fancy schmanzy clinchers as I already got a pair of carbon tubulars for race day, and would be more than happy to run twice as long with Open Sports if they're half as costly and equally good as the Open pros!

mattr

by mattr

Just need to make sure it's a decent build, same as with any wheel........

Crampandgoslo

by Crampandgoslo

can they be tubulars? Mavic reflex's?

JBV

by JBV

Crampandgoslo wrote:can they be tubulars? Mavic reflex's?

Indeed, if you're racing on tubulars and you're putting together wheels specifically for CX training, it makes more sense to train on the same type of tires. A set of Reflex (or Velocity Major Tom, or Kinlin TB-25, just to name a couple) can build up to inexpensive, durable training wheels that aren't even that heavy (depending on spoke/hub choices).

And, while Challenge or Tufo or Vittoria tubulars come in at slightly higher price than clinchers, they will enable you to play with tire pressure in training (which can't be done on clinchers for fear of pinching/burping). That alone is worth a lot of extra $, to be able to really find your limits cornering. If you train on clinchers at 35-40psi and only race on tubulars 1-2 times per week, it's very hard to get used to running realistic tire pressure.

As a final bonus, you'll have a more robust set of pit wheels.

mattr

by mattr

I'm running clinchers down to 25 psi on mixed surface courses, and have run lower.
Also, I weighed going on 85 kilos at the time. No problems with pinches. (Or dents!)

Missus has run lower, but only on soft courses, no rocks.

jockster

by jockster

Make sense to train on a race setup, but it comes down to cost for me.
I already have a carbon tubular wheelset with vittoria cross tires, so I'll use the clincher version of the same tire for training. Also I need a wheelset to run my studded clinchers when its starting to get icy, which is a bigger part of the season than anyone in Scandinavia would like to admit

jooo

by jooo

I can not imagine why many people would run an Open Pro anymore? There are many better options available IMO. The TB14 and PL23 are better rims in the same semi-classic style. There are also heaps of options with newer style rims from KinLin, Velocity, Hed and others from Pacenti and h+son. They all offer suitable rims in 32 hole drilling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

jooo wrote:I can not imagine why many people would run an Open Pro anymore?
Because you can get them anywhere (usually in stock or easily available)?
You can get them over the counter in many (most) shops?
They are a known quantity across the board (everyone knows of Mavic and their rims)?
They do everything well enough (light ish, durable ish, easy to build with, not too expensive)?
Many shops also hold stock of prebuilt wheels with Open Pros?

For Training/CX/Commuting type stuff i can't see why anyone WOULDN'T just go for an Open Pro (or Sport) rather than searching and researching an alternative. That may, or may not be better. (or might take a few weeks to get hold of)