Which (non-disc) brakes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I am thinking about replacing the carbon TRP CR950s that I am currently running.

Thinking about:
1) Avid Shorty Ultimate
2) TRP RevoX alloy
3) TRP 8.4
4) Other?

Which are most powerful? Is it a big advantage to have the dual-mode of the Avids?

Cosmo

by Cosmo

I've only used Shorty Ultimates from that list. My take-easy to set up, widely adjustable spring tension (lever feel), no clog. I run in the narrow position, tried the wide a couple of times but found the arms too wide for my dismount style. Not worth the slightly better pad/rim clearance to me-I race on plenty of deep mud/grass courses and never a problem with gunk building up around the arms, they seem to flush the crud out (lack of horizontal surface?).

"Power" from a canti is relative-your setup makes a difference too. I run the base of the straddle about 35mm above the tire (not a proper measurement but works for me) and have a good balance of power/touch for racing. I have gotten some fork chatter on Ridley Oryx forks with these brakes-solution is a little toe in and all good.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for your input. I forgot to add that I am running an Alpha Q CX 20 fork. I have been experiencing the occasional chatter while using the CR950s, but not something a bit of fiddling with the brake setup couldn't handle.

limba

by limba

I would change your brake pads to Kool Stop salmon or something from Swiss Stop. That might be enough of an upgrade right there. If that doesn't work, get the Ultimates. Still not happy? Get some CX8 or 9.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

The problem with my CR950s is actually the brake shoes. They came with V-brake style MTB shoes. I want road shoes. I have been running SRAM Rival brake shoes, but they are not as adjustable as I would like.

Any suggestions? For brake shoes for my current brakes?

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

TRP REVOX Alloy schwarz or TRP Revox Carbon
they have got Roadshoes

you can completly avoid forkshutter with a trp cablehanger, which is fixed at the fork.
i call it antivibrationsphallus :D
---------
Toe-in helps as well, for short ...
Ride different brake pads: one hard-one soft! This helps, too.

Mini-V do never shutter.
So 8.4 could be a choice.
I love them.

You can replace brakeshoes on every brake

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

If you prefer to be able to stop instead of just slow down, get the mini v's, I run the 8.4 with campy 11 levers .... stops on par with a road bike. Other options are Paul's mini moto and if you are on a budget the tektro bmx brakes are almost the same as the 8.4 at about 1/4 the price

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

elmar schrauth wrote:you can completly avoid forkshutter with a trp cablehanger, which is fixed at the fork.
i call it antivibrationsphallus :D

Interesting. However, I won't be able to use that with my fork I'm afraid :(

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

Afraid of what? there are thousands of these cablehangers "on the road"
the principle is on the market since almost 20 years

https://www.google.de/search?q=cable+ha ... 63&bih=814

johnsaysthisnow

by johnsaysthisnow

Just switched to avid ultimates from shorty 4s. Bought front as "front" (came in box set up wide), rear as "rear" (came narrow). I had installed them very quickly (shop I was using a stand at was closing soon) so I mounted the front as it was, with the intent to switch it narrow later....

I absolutely love the ultimates, even with the front in wide stance. I wish I could say it was partially due to my aptitude as a wrench, but I put so little thought into setting them up, and they just worked flawlessly from the start. Great power, great modulation/feel. Braking on aluminum or carbon rims feels great, and I have no desire to swap the front to narrow. (Though I probably should to see if I prefer narrow more.)

I weigh ~165, and for racing CX they stop/slow me just fine. Front feels plenty powerful for anything I've encountered so far this season, rear feels good too. I can lock the rear up at will, but basically only if by choice. Further tweaking of the setup has been stupid easy, as well. I run sram levers, for reference.

A friend also just picked up a set of CX-9s, coming off of Spooky brakes (the brake guys, not frame guys. Google it if curious.) He has Campy on his CX bike. Chorus I think. Anyway. His gripe about the spookys was lack of power and finicky set up. In switching to CX-9s, he says they're way more powerful. (I've ridden his bike, can confirm.) But, the CX-9s, in his and my opinions, definitely don't modulate as well. More "on/off" feeling. He has stated that he'd like to play with them a little more to see if he can tweak things, but while adjustability is easier, there's also less to adjust. (He's looking to strike the optimal balance between pad clearance and lever throw to get better braking. But that's really all he can do to adjust...)

He is of the opinion that "when I want to stop, I want to STOP." But, I think they're too powerful for racing. Boils down to your preferences and needs for the bike. If you want more versatility, and better stopping power for all conditions (riding the bike on the road, or maybe some MTB trails), I'd go for mini-Vs. If the bike is going to be predominantly a race machine, I think ultimates are plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I might try some other pads with the Rival brake shoes I already have. The bike is for racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

This cablehanger reduces fork shutter as well, but i also reduces (a little) of your brakepower : http://radsport-schrauth.de/media/image ... Berner.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The cablehanger has a little flex, thats why its works.