Recall TRP Spyre

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

Giant Germany just lauched a recall for TRP Spyre
http://www.cx-sport.de/content/cyclocro ... ur%C3%BCck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ms6073

by ms6073

Wonder if this has to with the issue I encountered with the caliper sticking when the pads are excessively worn from riding in girt and grime? I had this happen at the end of a week of day long rides on damp and occasionally muddy trails comprised mostly of crushed limestone at which with the Ashima Ai2 rotors I was using at the time, went through the stock pads in no time.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hurricanejosh

by hurricanejosh

bad year for cross disc brakes with this and the shimano cx75 recall....

eXist

by eXist

the problem is a mechanical issue, its also a finishing issue ;)
Last edited by eXist on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ms6073

by ms6073

TRP stated wrote:We have identified a specific condition that could result in failure or one or both of the brakes when installed on a bicycle. The Spyre caliper uses a dual piston design in which ball bearings move within opposing ramps. We have discovered that in a specific scenario, the balls can be forced from the ramps if the actuator arm is fully activated to its stop with excessively worn or no pads installed. The effect is that the one or more of the balls can jump from its position within its respective ramp, resulting in a reduction or loss of braking force. There has been one reported incident of a single caliper brake failure with no injury or property damage.
Yep, that sounds exactly like what I experienced although I was able to remedy by flushing the caliper with spray cleaner while actuating the lever then installing new pads.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"