1 1/8" disc CX fork options?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gt5504b

by gt5504b

I have a nice new set of disc clinchers and am looking for a good fork to switch over one of the cross bikes to discs. Any fork suggestions?

Currently it has an AlphaQ CX20 which looks to have ~405mm axle-to-crown on the custom steel bike w/ disc dropouts.

I'd like to stick with something all carbon and light of course, but am open to all reasonably priced ideas.

Thx,
-Cory

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gospastic

by gospastic

I've done a lot of searching for all carbon 1 1/8 disc forks and the only one I've found is a WoundUp. All others have aluminum steerers. Whisky Parts makes one. It's probably the easiest one to source.

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

I've been looking around too to no avail (of anything good at least) and WondUp is probably the best of the bunch. There are some Chinese ones on ebay that may or may not work, but I would probably avoid those. There also appears to be a WCS Ritchey one (that I saw on ebay as well) that has mounts for discs and cantis.

All the nice, full carbon disc forks these days are tapered (Enve, Whisky, etc.). gospastic is right in that all 1-1/8" forks for discs will have aluminum steerers. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely convinced that you'll be able to find something full carbon and light for your current setup. I have a similar issue as you with a 1-1/8" (but with a custom steel fork) and have looked into getting a nice carbon but it seems like there are no good options.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

You could also run the Trigon fork w/carbon steerer. A-C is 410mm.

jooo

by jooo

as sanrensho said the Trigon is a good option if you're ok with a slight increase in axle to crown height. People have been running them for plenty of years now on rigid MTBs and they've had a pretty good track record. Apart from the crown not matching some headsets that well, they look good stripped of decals and the value for money is great.

gospastic

by gospastic

Looks like Ritchey is coming out with one soon. 395mm A-C.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/10/01/ib1 ... more-67402

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run the Trigon on my disc'd commuter. Good fork, if a tad longer than ideal.

zetasj55

by zetasj55

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely convinced that you'll be able to find something full carbon and light for your current setup. I have a similar issue as you with a 1-1/8" (but with a custom steel fork) and have looked into getting a nice carbon but it seems like there are no good options.

jooo

by jooo

The Trigon is only 8mm taller than what you're already running now.

It's definitely not the lightest or cheapest but there's always the Wound Up as well. They tend to look pretty good on most steel frames IMO.

Erhar

by Erhar

gospastic wrote:Looks like Ritchey is coming out with one soon. 395mm A-C.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/10/01/ib1 ... more-67402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody know when this new ritchey carbon disk fork is going to be out in the market?

freeloader

by freeloader

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:LVV6KaxFAOQJ:ritcheylogic.com/cross/forks/wcs-carbon-disc-cross-fork-matte-ud.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=sg&client=firefox-a

Erhar wrote:
gospastic wrote:Looks like Ritchey is coming out with one soon. 395mm A-C.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/10/01/ib1 ... more-67402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody know when this new ritchey carbon disk fork is going to be out in the market?

pushstart

by pushstart

I thought this had been mentioned in this thread, but I am obviously confused. Spot also makes a full-carbon straight-steerer fork: http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/?shopp_pid=30

The 457g claimed weight seems reasonable too, unlike, say, the Carver full-carbon that is just as heavy as a carbon fork with alloy steerer.

Erhar

by Erhar

I see that estimated time of arrival for the ritchey fork is summer of 2014. Do you think that spot fork's quality is equal to ritchey's?

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, no idea. I would get the Spot because I would be using it on a bike that does have fenders mounted in commuter mode. The Ritchey does look nice, though, so if my bike were a dedicated cx racer I might hold out (and pony up the extra $$).

Erhar

by Erhar

I don't see why you can't mount fenders on the ritchey cx fork, it's axle to crown distance will be only 5mm shorter than the spot cx fork (395mm for the ritchey- 400mm for the spot).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com