Brake Upgrade

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I think I will upgrade my rim brakes
Options are...
TRP Euro X or Avid Shorty Ultimates
Which do you advise and any other suggestions

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

I have TRPs on one bike and Shorty Ultimates on the other. My prefer the TRPs because they have a significantly lower modulation than the Avids, which feel a bit too "squishy" for my taste. Both provide adequate braking power, but I happen to prefer a very tight and positive brake action.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ragamuffin

by Ragamuffin

I've used the Avid Ultimates, and while they work, I found them underwhelming. I'm not an elite racer so I still use my brakes more frequently than I should, but as with most cantis, power left a bit to be desired and I too experienced the "squishy" nature that thewatchtech addressed. You may want to add the TRP RevoX to your list as well.

As a side note, I'm trying mini-vs for this season and they're pretty great. Heavier for sure than nice cantis, but for $30 for a pair of Tektros, I figured it was worth a try.

vcnz

by vcnz

I have TRPs both carbon and magnesium versions, but last year I bought a set of FSA SL-K for a budget build.

They are much cheaper than top TRP/Avid model, but I can tell you they are amazing, best value for the money by far and also very nice looking

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thanks for the advice - I went for the TRP's

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Brake pads will make just as much difference. I think TRPs stock compound sucks. Switched to SwissStop BXP, and all is so much better. Cheapest brake upgrade out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yz387

by yz387

I ran the Euro-X last season and am running the Shorty Ultimates this season (narrow stance front and rear). The difference is night and day; the Avids are WAY more powerful. I gave the Euro-X brakes to one of my buddies since i have no intention of ever installing them again. Note: it might have something to do with the fact that I run 303 firecrests and I can get the pads aligned much better on these wide rims with the Avids than I could with the TRPs.