HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

I'm interested in building up a Cyclocross/tourer (60/40 split) but the options [disks, gearing etc] are so confusing and I'm hoping to salvage parts from my last build. I'm hoping someone can cut through the rubbish and make this a simple and enjoyable build.

Trying to keep the costs down, but want to do it right the first time.

I have a Caad10-5 which I stripped down (group and wheels) and replaced with Campag Chorus and hand-built Hed Belgiums with a Powertap Pro+.

This means I have 105 derailleurs, a standard FSA crank and some RS10s laying around collecting dust. I also have a powertap collecting dust all winter and a spare compact campy crank.

My question is, which parts to use? Cheap campy 11 build so I can swap the good wheels, or do I start with Shimano, use the rs10's and replace the crank (single or double - how to decide)?

I was thinking of a Kona Jake or JTS as the base.

Does there seem to be a clearly better approach from the parts I've got laying around? Would it be better to sell off the old Shimano and just buy an entry level built bike?

Help me out!! Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:52 pm 

Sounds like you have some options there. Some questions I want to put out there:

-Have you done cyclocross before?
-Are you planning on racing?

I'll give a more in depth answer based on your answers to those questions but here are my general thoughts:

-This is weight weenies, go lighter (you'll notice the weight during the ups and downs in cyclocross, whether just riding or even racing)
-Don't ride what you can't afford to replace (if you're just starting out, I would go the cheaper Shimano option given that will most definitely crash, however, if you're more seasoned, this might not be that much of an issue)
-Double ring considering you want to use this as a tourer (I think you'll find it annoying to remove/install chainrings for your different applications)

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:52 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:24 pm 

Thanks for the info.

I've only done a cyclocross clinic on a mtb, so my experience is very very minimal (lots of road experience, however)

In my area (Toronto, Canada) the only organized cyclocross options are races, but I'm not exactly in a life stage where I'm looking to be a competitive racer - one day maybe. At this point, I'm cycling more for extreme-relaxation (that should make sense to cyclists)!

So buying a new Shimano double crank, using my old 105 with new brakes (cantis?). Do you think I can get away with the rs10s from the CAAD?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:47 pm 

Regarding wheels... Depends on how heavy you are. They are super heavy! I have used them set up tubeless for light cx training. I'm 135, and I had to true them once. If you are 160+, and/or hard on wheels, I'd say no. Otherwise, they are a decent rim, with serviceable hubs. That's why I use them. But bear in mind, the nipple size is not standard, so you may need to track down a tool.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:22 pm 

I weight about 145 so sounds like the rs10s might be an option. Saving the power tap if I went campy would be a plus though...unless the mud would ruin it. Not sure the Mud tolerance of those things...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:39 am 

Swapping the powertap over from campy is a simple freehub change.. I don't believe there is dishing involved, and the powertap freehub just slips out, no tools required. I think they are robust, but do tend to have water issues.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:39 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:14 pm 

Cool thanks for the info.

I agree with JN2Wheels that the RS10s should be fine (burly and pretty reliable). I think for this setup, you should probably just go the Shimano route since they seem to be spare parts, and I think it would be a pain to keep switching groups between bikes (I'm assuming you want the nicer stuff on your road bike since you're more of a roadie). I've seen people race in mud with Powertaps so it probably isn't too much of an issue, but I would just ride the RS10s and have some peace of mind. Again, the you're definitely going to have a weight penalty with this stuff compared to your Campy parts, but since you're still relatively new, just use what you have and see if you even like it (you can always upgrade later).

For cranks, you could just use your spare compact Campy cranks and get the adequate chainrings (not sure how you feel about mix and match groups on a bike though...). These days, however, manufacturers make smaller chainrings for 130BCD cranks. Thorne makes a 44t outer and 38t inner that may work for you (http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/cyclocro ... ngs-guards), that way you could just use your FSA cranks.

I'm not sure you could sell off your old Shimano components for enough money to get a reasonable entry bike (I'm pretty biased though as I highly prefer to spec everything myself rather than getting a mediocre prebuilt package).

Kona's are pretty solid, I saw a JTS yesterday at a race and they guy seemed pretty happy with it. Do you have a price point in mind for the frame? That would probably help us give some input on what other options you might have.