HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:53 am 

I guess it's more of a gravel grinder? The blingy build just looks road-ish, with the speedplays and the bottle holders. Awesome bike though. Can you tell more about the frame? Type, where you bought it?

Interesting point about being able to fit MTB wheels, I was considering a canti/mini-V build up until I read that...

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:23 am 

Marin wrote:
I guess it's more of a gravel grinder? The blingy build just looks road-ish, with the speedplays and the bottle holders. Awesome bike though. Can you tell more about the frame? Type, where you bought it?

Interesting point about being able to fit MTB wheels, I was considering a canti/mini-V build up until I read that...

Correct, gravel grinder is good definition but the pedals I am using are egg beaters wich are pretty good for mud too, not exactly a road bike pedal.

I wanted to have a versatile bike and ready for road and mud as well when needed. I do a lot of fast commuting and city streets are not exactly smooth asphalts as we expect so the current configuration gives me perfect balance between rolling speed and comfort. I was previously riding the Specialized Tarmac from the previous pictures and it was killing me for commute not mentioning the number of flats I got every month.

If I want to go a bit off road as I said I can just throw a set of MTB wheels on it and I am good to go (100mm front axle; 135mm rear)

This frame is chinese carbon open mold specifically for Cx bike build with brake disk. I bought it from ebay under the reference FR-602 from a guy from HK. Received the frame in 3 days in excellent shape and packing condition. The frame is light, sturdy and top class finishing.

The wheels are also chinese from ebay and so far I can assure they are pretty light and hold the punch easily. I built the entire bike myself so if you need any further detail don't hesitate to ask.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:23 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:28 am 
Shop Owner

How do the titanium Rotors brake?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:50 pm 

elmar schrauth wrote:
How do the titanium Rotors brake?

Good question. Im learning the lesson. They are super light really less than 45g for one rotor 160mm is amazing but.... the stopping power is very mediocre to say the least. it is very difficult to find a brake pad that work properly too. I have tried many and most of them don't work, some will destroy the rotor and all of them will generate very loud and annoying sounds no matter if the rotor is cold or hot.

What I found useful though was to replace the front rotor for steel waaaaaay better for harder stops and quiet. Since all the weight is transferred to the front so I have more grip when braking and Ti rotor in the rear for a more modulated brake because I apply less power in the rear so it doesn't generate noise and this way I have a very balanced brake. If I use steel in the rear I would certainly have more stopping power but would easily lock the rear in some conditions. Overall I wouldn't recommend them due to efficiency, noise and very high cost.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:50 am 

i just finished building my 2014 Ridley X-Night (52cm) with:
Campagnolo Record 11 Speed (shifters/levers, Front/Rear Derailleurs)
Campagnolo Super Record 11 Cranks (172.5cm)
Campagnolo Chorus 11 Speed Cassette
Campagnolo PF30 BB cups
Yeoleo 38mm carbon tubulars wide wheels with Novatec Disc hubs 28h (Novatec QR's)
Challenge Grifo 33 Tubular Tires
TRP Hy/RD Disc brakes 160mm front disc/140 rear disc
Pro Vibe 7 Cabon Bar (40cm)
Enve Carbon Stem (90mm)
Enve Carbon Zero Offset Post (27.2)
Specialized Ronin Titanium Rail Saddle
Lizard Skins ISP 2.5 bar tape
FSA headset
KMC 11 speed XL chain (gold)
Shimano XTR pedals
Pro Carbon water bottle cage
K Edge Pro Chain Catcher
K Edge Garmin mount
Garmin rear cardence and speedo sensor

CX bike came in at 18.1 lbs on the feedback sports digi scale.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:01 am 

Can you post pics? Do you like your Specialized Saddle Ronin? I use a full carbon version of the toupe very light and acceptable comfortable for 50Km rides but longer rides becomes a pain in the S

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 am 
Shop Owner

Carbonsaddles on CX-bikes dont work very long

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:43 am 

elmar schrauth wrote:

I think there are so many factors to determine the lifetime of any bike part. As for the saddle I have abused carbon saddles for quite some time with no single issue.

I am 85kg and always ride with heavy back pack and my saddle is only 87g

As long as you adjust the saddle properly, seat correctly, apply correct torque in the seatpost and get off the saddle when jumping or riding over bad terrain I don't see a reason for a carbon saddle not to last long.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:48 pm 

He's talking about actually racing a cross bike and remounting, not just riding around town on a cross bike.
Same thing I meant when I said "that's a road bike". It's not a cross bike when it has slick tires and a huge chainring on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:08 am 

If you are racing you are supposed to be even less time seating on your saddle but yeah people always mean other things bla bla bla 50 is huge chainring? A frame that can fit a 1.75" tire is a road bike? Even a 29mm slick tire doesn't fit on a road bike but... Whatever..... go ride both of them and learn something

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:00 am 

elmar schrauth wrote:

I don't really buy this line.

Sure, super light saddles and seatposts aren't a great idea for constant, hard remounts but you're just as likely to pop a steel/Ti rail out of a sadddle shell or snap a light aluminum seatpost.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 am 

I have carbon saddle on my MTB as well and its well beaten on bad trails without problems so why should it last shorter on a CX bike. Most of the accidents happen due to wrong clamp torque or also if you remount too hard then the rail may break. To avoid this just place an alloy sleeve around the rail where the seatpost clamps it and forget it. Carbon doesn't cope well with sudden hit on sharp edges and this applies to any carbon part but not correct to say not good for racing....

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:57 pm 

Here is my 2014 Ridley X-Night
Campagnolo Record 11 Speed (shifters/levers, Front/Rear Derailleurs)
Campagnolo Super Record 11 Cranks (172.5cm)
Campagnolo Chorus 11 Speed Cassette
Campagnolo PF30 BB cups
Yeoleo 38mm carbon tubulars 23 mm wide wheels with Novatec Disc hubs 28h (Novatec QR's)
Challenge Grifo 33 Tubular Tires
TRP Hy/RD Disc brakes 160mm front disc/140 rear disc
Pro Vibe 7 Cabon Bar (40cm)
Enve Carbon Stem (90mm)
Enve Carbon Zero Offset Post (27.2)
Specialized Ronin Titanium Rail Saddle
Lizard Skins ISP 2.5 bar tape
FSA headset
KMC 11 speed XL chain (gold)
Shimano XTR pedals
Pro Carbon water bottle cage
K Edge Pro Chain Catcher
K Edge Garmin mount
Garmin rear cadence and speedo sensor

CX bike came in at 18.1 lbs on the feedback sports digi scale. Photo was taken before ENVE Stem and post were installed.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

Super nice ride! Would have thought it would be a bit lighter though, how much does the frame weigh?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm 

the frame, fork, fsa headset, seat collar (steer tube cut) was 1580 grams size 52 cm.

the TRP Hy/Rd, TRP rotors, XTR pedals, FSA headset, Novatec Steel QR's and Campy Chorus Cassette were all pretty hefty so i wasn't surprised when it came in at 18.1 lbs. but the nice part is that it doesn't feel like it considering my Wilier Cento1SR comes in at 14.41 lbs with cages, computer, cadence sensor and mount.

maybe some ti-bolts, spindles, ti-skewers and headset will save some weight. but overall i'm pretty happy with how she rides and looks. no complaints besides i wish i had another CX frame with canti's for a light weight project. :beerchug:

Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next