Urban fun bike options?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

Use- wheelies, stoppies/playriding and zipping thru and around traffic in Miami.

Price point-sub 2500

SRAM 1x or 2x drivetrain

Current choice - 2017 Cannondale bad boy 2

Don't like any specialized offerings, and the cyclocross bikes are too agressive geometry, other option is an xc hardtail and put road tires on it which I did to a 2010 Cannondale moto 2 carbon and it was basically the most awesome supermoto urban bike to rip and jump down stairs w.

Not gonna do anything crazy this time around so I think the bad boy 2 will do the trick for about 1300 locally. Stick 500$ into it to shave 4lbs off and be good to go.

melac1

by melac1

I had a bad boy for a while and it did everything i wanted it to do. I treated it like a city bike and it seemed to hold up to my abuse well. For excitement though, can't get any better than a fixie with no brakes and some wide risers:) They can get light as all hell too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

Nobody else?

euph

by euph

If I were just going on the title and ignoring your requirement for gears I would suggest a singlespeed bike. You could get one reasonably light but still sturdy enough for the activities you suggest.

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

I've got a single speed non fixie. It's
The coolest beater bike ever. But has to weight like 33lbs and no way it can wheelie or anything

euph

by euph

Well for your $2500 budget you could easily build a 8-9 kg singlespeed bike. Its an option to explore potentially

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

euph wrote:Well for your $2500 budget you could easily build a 8-9 kg singlespeed bike. Its an option to explore potentially

Ive already got a full aero hydro disc brake 8.05kg road race bike that was about 2650 built.

Really need something to be a hooligan on essentially so ill be needing some gears

Marin

by Marin

Proper MTB with slicks / urban tires.

Wheelies are lame, you want to learn manuals -> need a dropper post too.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Get a Cannondale slate, if you really want to spend that much on a Urban "beater".

If it was me I would find a CX bike and put some semi-slicks or road tires on. You can destroy any terrain on that, don't get the too aggressive Geometry? You can fit it to whatever your needs are.

I ride a Ridley X-Bow with Schwalbee Sammy-Slicks and can ride anything on road and mostly every off-road.

Geoff

by Geoff

I'm using a Cannondale Hooligan for that purpose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

ugh. keep going back and forth on it. between the bad boy and the slate apex. The bars will be approx 3in higher on the BB2 compared to the slate looking at the stack. I kinda want to go w the slate because A; i like the looks better and I saw one in person today at was impressed with the build quality (hard to admit) but it was wrong size so i couldn't ride it or get a feel for it and B; because if I don't like it I'm sure I could get the 1700$ back by selling it since it is so new, also it will be in 1 week from order not 1 month for the BB2.