HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

I'm starting to look for a new cross bike. It looks like I "have" to move to disc brakes, but the real issue is the rear hub standard. Options out there are 130 QR (Cannondale) 135 QR (Giant) and 142 12 mm through axle (Norco). Of course nobody knows what will be THE standard, but what would you choose as your standard? Or, is there a hub that would be compatible with various standards that you would recommend to future proof the rear wheel?

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 pm 

There are still plenty of bikes running cantis. Those bikes should all still be on road (130mm) spacing. It seems to me like most disc bikes are sticking with the 135mm rear spacing standard.

"We haven't located us yet"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm 

Most canti frames have 130mm, ALL disc are 135. Why "most" ? Some frames have double duty solutions ( like BH, some Ridley's) - inserts for rear dropouts reducing 135 to 130 and double bosses : for rim & disc brakes.

"THE Standart" in Cyclocross is Canti , "road" wheels 130mm rear hub spacing. Simplicity.

& I know I started "war" ;) BTW it's same as front wheel drive in cars - most of them has it, but you never find it in some brands ;)

To make things more complicated are also "standart's" in BB drop : from 60-63mm ( European, called Belgian as well ) and 67-69mm called "American" .

Plus standart of sloping and horizontal TT.

Are also "standarts" which allow for shifting cabling on/under down tube ( sick! ) …

And this way ( lower BB, DT cabling, sloping ) road bicycles with wider tire clearance and disc brakes are salled by some "cyclocross bikes" :mrgreen:

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm 

stormur wrote:
Most canti frames have 130mm, ALL disc are 135.

actually there are some 130 disc frames... although they pretty much stopped as quickly as they started, in favour of 135mm.

142mm is actually still 135mm between the stays, both sides just have a 2.5mm recess to slot the wheel in better. with a bit of ingenuity, a 135mm wheel can be used on a 142mm bike.

for future proofing, i'd be going for wheels that will accept 15mm and QR front, along with 135x10/135x12/142x10/142x12 rear... that should sort out cyclocross frames for the time being anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am 

Just noticed that Cannondale is 135 mm as well, so that makes the decision much easier.

I did stop by the LBS to see the Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 and it looks really good. BB is 7 mm higher than my current Cannondale (I think) and wheelbase is 4 mm longer, but I think I'll go for a test ride on Saturday. Price is also appealing...you get a complete bike for same price as some other brands are asking for their framesets. Giant Super X Rival is also in the running. Higher price point, but comes with hydraulic brakes. Although, the $800 or so price difference covers all sorts of upgrades.

I don't care about cable routing or some other details, but the whole bike upgrade is driven by wheels. I have been riding carbon wheels for the past few years, but now I have to upgrade my wheels. So the question really is, should I build another 2 sets of rim brake tubular wheels and have them become pretty much obsolete before I wear them out or should I make a switch to disc and take my changes with hub standards. Looking at what guys are riding in North America and what manufacturers are pushing, rim brakes will become obsolete in cross within the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:40 am 

Anything based around DT Swiss star ratchet is excellent as the hub system is so modular. quick release or through axle, 11 speed road, XD 11 speed mtb freehub all interchangeable. Easton is also I good option. They have an 11speed shimano road freehub body for their tubeless mtb wheels.

My setup is DT Swiss XCR950tubular race wheels and Easton EC90XC tubeless training wheels. Both run 11 speed road freehub body and quick release front and rear for my Trek Boone in Winter. Then they can both run XD freehub body with front and rear through axle for the mtb in Summer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:20 am 

OJ wrote:
I don't care about cable routing or some other details, but the whole bike upgrade is driven by wheels………………………….Looking at what guys are riding in North America and what manufacturers are pushing, rim brakes will become obsolete in cross within the next few years.

You will care about routing when your fingers stuck between dt and cables, possibly being cut …. Hope luckily not.

Many people buy "new" "fancy" "advertised" , because… I will stop here. It has nothing ( mostly ) to real needs and usability / performance.

And about end of rim brakes in CX within "few years " we here - from manufacturers only - every few years :mrgreen:

Great way to loose some money … I went for Ridley canti instead of Colnago, because of… lack of canti brakes in "C" bikes for '15… They ignore my needs ( pushing for solution generating more money for them and trouble for me ) - I ignore their products. Simple as that.

Wheels -cyclocross -longlasting ……….something won't fit here :shock:

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 am 

if you want something standard and long-lasting, go cantilever

Here (Belgium-The Netherlands) still 99% riders at any level are on canti and pretty sure it will be like this for a long time
I bought 2 bikes this year (Ridley X-Night, Trek Boone), both cantilever version

I'm not against disks, but I do not like brands that want to make the choice for me. Ridley and Trek offer the same frames in boh discs and canti versions, this is something I really appreciate.

Don't let bike brands choose for you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:07 pm 

Also got a Canti CX this year. Cheap build, still only 7.7kg on 28mm road tires, takes the same wheels as my racers, Shimano Mini-Vs work better than the Magura MTs on my MTB - I can do stoppies from the hoods.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm 

- a cyclist, especially a pro cyclist, will find any way possible to use the equipment their dad used back in the day. (I'm quilty of this)
- sticking with canti would be the least expensive option. I could keep my current C'dale, and just buy another SuperX, but availability is really poor. I am looking into this option as well.
- discs are coming eventually. I do like how discs work, but dont really need the power.
- great point about DT Swiss hubs. Also one of the better hubs out there.
- Oddly enough, i'm not hard on my bike/gear. My old race wheels lasted more than 30 races until freewheel started acting up.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:56 pm