XX1 style chainrings for Cyclocross. Finally in.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I've just put a CX1 38T ring on my Trek Boone and (obviously) pulled the front mech off.

Still using a Force rear mech with a 11-28 cassette. Will see how that goes before I change to a clutch mech

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

Couldn't a XX1 style chainring be custom modified for a Campy Compact crankset? I have a Chorus Ultra Torque from 2009, and it would be a pitty not to use it anymore :( It is light, looks good and I have just changed the bearings. The difference is 2mm .

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

You should easily be able to modify one of the normal 110mm rings.

octav

by octav

I would like to buy an Absolute Black or Race Face Narrow Wide. How would it be easier to correct this 2 mm difference?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

It takes about 2 minutes with a dremel, a bit longer if you just use a round file.

You only have to modify one hole.

octav

by octav

It would be perfect :) I will order the chainring and see what it happens next . Thanks a lot for the advice.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Tehan,
Are you planning to make oval 130/5 BCD rings?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

qhrjtm1041

by qhrjtm1041

I finally pulled the trigger on a Wolf Tooth setup. I'm running with a shimano 7800 rear derraileur, and no guards. No trouble yet, although all my races this season have been dry thus far. Tons of single ring setups out there... Many opting for 40 or 42. I've got a 38, and can imagine no cx race scenarios where I'll need more than 38x12 or 11. On the other hand, 38x28 is very useful for those borderline muscle-over or run-up situations. Also, absolutely set these things up on the inside... Chainline is nearly centered there, whereas putting it on the outside essentially leads to some heavy cross-chaining in the big ring which is compounded by the tight chain in a properly sized setup.

Marin

by Marin

I'm using a N/W ring on my dropbar hardtail MTB *without a clutch* mech (regular X0) and haven't had a chain drop in several offroad rides.

jelledb

by jelledb

Hi, first post here on the forum. The previous season I mounted a single ring Sram Rival 1 with a regular ultegra rear derailleur. The simplicity of a 1x setup is what you need in those hard cx races where you only want to think about one thing, shifting up or down. No struggling with big or small ring :wink: .

I only had big troubles with the durability of that specific combo. I'm from Belgium and the races here can get realy muddy :P . After a couple of months I had a few dropped chains. In the beginning it was only in the muddiest conditions possible. A bit later it happened in the bumpy races. I think the ring needed to be swapped for a new one because the narrow wide pattern was more a less gone.

To make a long story short, I think 1x are great for both MTB and CX. But I think you have to take in account, you'll need to swap rings a bit quicker. Quite a lot of pros ride 1x but they have unlimited supplies and 3 bikes for then in the pits with an entourage taking care of their stuff :D . I can only dream of that!

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Can someone guide me, where can I find 40T ring for Shimano 5800/6800. I know Wolf makes one, but is there more? Round needed, not oval.
Thanks.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"