XX1 style chainrings for Cyclocross. Finally in.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

They work excellent

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

tehan wrote:I don't think you will get close to that on CX.

Then I think you'd be surprised :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

the_marsbar wrote:
tehan wrote:I don't think you will get close to that on CX.

Then I think you'd be surprised :lol:

Agreed. Of course you will get that kind of mud and build-up in cyclo cross.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

i guess it depends where you live. I have not seen everything (like Denmark races) but i saw some in Uk and US and it looks much nicer than muddy mtb race in Wales or Germany, Poland etc.

If you say it's also as muddy then at least you know it will work:)

Scatterbug

by Scatterbug

I'm still a bit sceptical but I've ordered one of these rings (along with reluctantly changing my new KMC chain for a SRAM one). I'll post my findings after a few races.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Dave Haygarth (ukcyclocross.com) decided to make a short clip of how CX chainring works. Quite nice vid!

AbsoluteBlack - YouTube

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I have now done 2 races on my new 1 x 10 setup: Absolute Black 42t ring, sram red shifter, sram x.0 type 2 rear derallieur w short cage and 11-28 cassette. Works perfectly. Feels very secure and good range compared to my old Campy 1x10 setup w 12-25 cassette.
Weight wise good to. How good depends a lot on which cassette you use.

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

vcnz

by vcnz

I bought the 42T and 38T and I was very happy..... till the first muddy race. On the first lap I dropped the chain maybe 6 times, then I changed bike. I'm using KMC chain and I'm very disappointed because I understood that any chain would work and didn't get any warning about KMC chain beforehand

NS

by NS

Although the website specifically says to NOT use KMC chains, a friend of mine had exactly the same experience with a shimano chain in a muddy race.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That's what I suspected. I've heard even XX1 has problems in some very muddy MTB races, how would this be different when it's the same principle.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hey guys,
Sorry for late reply, i was away.

KMC chains will not work in mud for sure and this is written on the website. This is because inner rollers in the chain are bigger than industry standard. So if you add a mud in to the mix chain will go on top of the chainring as there would not be enough space.
Other chains work perfectly fine.

I have Mical Dyck using my chainrings (No1 in Canada in CX) and till now i have not heard from her that she encountered ant chain drop in muddy conditions.
Some chaindrops are a result of bad assembly of entire drivetrain or panic shifting in situations where most people do not change the gear. This is on rough terrain under load. Most people do not change the gear in such situation as you pedal on what you have or roll it over. To make it clear - chain will not fell off when you ride on same gear no matter what. It is only possible when you change the gear in worst possible moment for that.

There is also a picture above what this chainring can stand and still work. This photo is not photoshop'ed:) So for most people it works like it should. For those who don't i always try to find a solution. So just please send me the email if you are having trouble with the setup.

Here is also Dutch/German forum where people use my products in muddy conditions. All good opinions.
http://forum.cx-sport.de/showthread.php?s=948af04348e1d624e89146b2a879248d&t=4424&page=2

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

This is how Micals Dyck bike looked like after yesterdays muddy race on the coast of Canada.
Lots of sticky mud, grass and she used no clutch rear mech (all sram Red).

If it can work for her, then it can work for everyone:)

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

tehan wrote:This is how Micals Dyck bike looked like after yesterdays muddy race on the coast of Canada.
Lots of sticky mud, grass and she used no clutch rear mech (all sram Red).

If it can work for her, then it can work for everyone:)

I am sorry for being a bit picky here, but that is a bold statement. What if the success also depends on the power that is put into the pedals, or maybe something else? I am thinking I might have to put one to the test, but I am still skeptical.

By the same logic, I could say: If one guy can make the chain skip in less muddy conditions on a MTB with full SRAM XX1, then it won't work on a 'cross bike (because the conditions are worse, and the RD is worse).

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

the_marsbar
Power has nothing to do here. As i have explained it already, system works really good. When it does not work then in 99% it is improper assembly (wrong chain, poor adjustment of drivetrain, too long/short chain, B tension screw not set up correctly, completely wrong chainline etc) There are many adjustment variables in customers bike which can go wrong and thus influencing on chainring performance - same as 2x setup. Manufacturer can't control it - this is true for every single part in the bike.
These are very easy to fix though. You can also always email me if you can't make it work yourself.

There is also very small group of people with quite particular riding habits. Changing gears on really rough terrain, backpedaling in such moments, panic changes during the load etc. This is the only moment where you should not change the gear, but some do. Riding on same gear will not cause chain drop during such a moment. Once you recognize the problem, it goes away by changing habits.

Why it works so well for the pros? Because they have properly adjusted bikes and does not have bad habits when riding. That's why i wrote if it works for Mical it can work for anyone. There is no reason why you should not have properly adjusted bike (by yourself or by a shop) Bad habits can be changed as well with a bit of willing and self conscious.

It's like with disc brakes. We know that when you will brake non-stop on a long descend you will eventually boil the fluid and cause a brake to fail. But some people will still do it and then say brakes were ... . this is just to consider.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I have now done 2 more races and still no issues. One was really wet and had a long sand trap. No issues. Not sticky mud though. Type 2 derailleur sure makes it feel safe. No chain slap either which is nice.

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com