You might find that interesting...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

here are my home made cantilever cyclocross brakes. Full aluminium hardware except for the brake pad carrier nuts. Powerful enough and no flex 8)

and yes, i do race my bike :P weighs in at ~7,0 kg (still has to be verified on a postal scale)

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

does your bike have an integrated seatpost or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemesenger
Shop Owner

by bikemesenger

520 Dan wrote:does your bike have an integrated seatpost or is it my eyes playing tricks on me?

You noticed that too, I also thought the santa hat was photoshoped until I saw the second picture.

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

yeah, you're right: It's an ISP.

here you can find more pics: http://fotos.mtb-news.de/fotos/showgallery.php/cat/9660

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Those are really beautifull brakes you have made - how long time did it take and how much money? I'm curious to hear more about those babies!

Also a really nice frame!!!

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

they didnt cost that much. Maybe 40-50 euros. But i had to put a hell lotta work into them to get them finished. I really don't know if i will be willing to produce some more :(

One problem is that i lack tools. i made these brakes with a dremel, a drilling machine, sandpaper and a file

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

cool bike. is it a rewel frame?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I would like such brakes but I don't think that I have the skills to make them myself nore access to the needed tools and I don't have the money to buy a carbon spookes - so start making some :-D

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

@Simon: nope, it's a custom-welded XACD Ti frame from China. I then modified the seat tube to acxcomodate the Tune seatpost clamp mechanism and replaced the original cradle with one made from a 32,4 mm Campa carbon seatpost tube.

@Mads: well, i dont know exactly what the spookies retail for, but i guess given the amount of work that i put into them, i'd have to ask for a higher price :( well, we'll see after i made my v-brakes. maybe with a little bit more routine, things might become easier to make. The straddle cable nuts for example: i couldnt machine them, so i clamped a 6 cm alloy pole into my drilling machine and pressed a file and a fine saw against the pole to make the grooves :D

Boonen

by Boonen

Those look really nice! Good job :thumbup:
The frame looks really cool as well, pretty sweet seatpost design, much better looking than f.i. on the giant road bikes, but I can imagine it is hard to get it to exactly the right length? Looks like you will have to stick with the same seat as well.

IMO your brakes look nicer that the spooky carbon's. They are made out of 2 sheets of cf, your's are really molded around. Looks like they would be easy to adjust as well. Keep up the good work.

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

well, i made this saddle myself and it will remain on my CX rig. I have also made an ISP Ti hardtail, so i have SOME experience with cutting the seat tube to the correct length. in case i cut the tube too short, i could have made higher saddle rails and a higher post cradle.

yes, adjustablity was my meain concern. i originally wanted to make a copy of the spooky brakes, but then i wanted to use adjustable v-brake pads. Going this way i also managed to get rid of all this alloy hardware you need to mount the canti-pads on froglegs and spookies.

Timo

by Timo

Max, could you post a complete specs list of you're interesting bike?

Also, where did you buy the frame and - if I may ask - what does it cost?

mfg,
Timo

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

how do the brakes work ?
elmar

Dennis

by Dennis

I like to see more pics of that seat too. I love it. What is the weight. You must start to sell your stuff. Or teach me :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

gotta go riding soon, so i'll post a brief summary of the specs

- XACD Ti frame, custom geometry, with Tune seatpost clamp and carbon cradle 1520 g
- Braxxo carbon fork 572 g
- american classic 420 wheels, sapim cx-ray spokes, eclipse tubelesskit strips and 40 ml of liquid/tire
- panaracer crossvlaster tires (soon to be schwalbe racing ralphs 35 mm)
- KCNC stem (ti-bolts) and bar
- record ergopower (right) and TT-brakelever (left)
- record RD
- FSA Carbon pro team issue crankset w/ 38T chainring and homemade chainguides
- KCNC scandium BB
- record chain (thinking about getting a KMC X10 SL as soon as the old one is worn out)
- chorus cassette 11-25
- homemade carbon saddle 78 g
- homemade carbon brakes 150 g f+r
- homemade carbon hcainstay protector
- speedplay frog ti pedals
- ritchey wcs headset, thinking about getting Chris King ($$$ :( )
- control tech ti bolt ons

@ Elmar: Yes, they do work of course. As good, if not a little better than froglegs. Of course they dont offer equivalent power as Avid Shorties or Tektro Oryx, but on the other hand the mud clearance is superior

here comes my saddle as requested: