Road carbon fork on a hybrid frame, fine for commuting ?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

I was actually building an old hybrid Peugeot steel frame as a commuter / winter bike.

I've been looking for an older 1" threadless, full carbon cyclocross fork, but they're very rare and cost a lot of dough.

So I figured, if I'm just using the bike for commuting, and early spring rides, might as well find an old road fork.

Will that make much difference, considering I won't be using tires larger than 28 mm on 700c wheels ?

What kind of front road brake will be fine for wet snow, and a little dirt, or mud ?

... Or... anybody installed some canti bosses on a road fork (I gues not, at least not anybody still alive to share experience... :lol: )...?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Should not be a problem generally. Some forks don't have enough clearance for 28mm tires but some do. So make sure you check that.

Also the fork fork tends to have a lower crown that would steepen head angle a bit, so make sure you find a fork with a smaller rake to compensate.

In addition, I suppose the bike will have unmatching brakes? Not a problem per se, but there may be difference in braking power depending on what the frame uses.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Good luck finding a 1" (full) carbon fork at a nice price. There's Colnagos on Ebay every now and then, but not always very favourably priced.

maddog 2

by maddog 2

+1 keep an eye on clearance.Touring forks might be an option (if you don't mind the weight) and potentially longer crown-to-axle length too.

A shorter fork will quicken the steering, as said, and lower the pedals a tad but otherwise should be fine.

If you want decent brakes then you could also consider going disc.

Depends what kind of commuter it's going to be really.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I should add that the 1" Colnagos will likely have problems clearing a true 28mm tyre. My Star fork just about takes a (nominally) 28mm Conti 4 Season, which is about 26mm on an R500 rim.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Road forks have a lower axle-to-crown height than CX forks.

But the most important question that comes to mind is: why spend big $ on a CF fork for a gas pipe frame commuter bike? (nofi).
Just ride the thing as it is.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

LouisN

by LouisN

After weighing the frame at 2484g ( :shock: ), I've came to the following conclusion:

Keep my $$$ for a better cross frameset when the time comes.

Now I'm finishing the "gas pipe" commuter bike build, and ride it like this.

I stripped the frame BTW, and saved 50g, guys :lol: Check out in the chat section for pics

Louis :)

jooo

by jooo

If you're still looking for a cheap 1" fork with brake bosses, search for Dimension forks on eBay. You can get them for under $50 in a whole range of different configurations. They're pretty ugly but perfect for hack bikes.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm after a similar fork to build a nice bike for the significant other. The Dimension fork seems to be a fair deal, but over 1kg is quite something. Nashbar has one listed too, with both canti/disc sockets, but no stock apparently.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 000_200456

jooo

by jooo

The 1" steerer dimension forks are below 1kg (claimed at least). One with brake bosses and a stated axle to crown of 403mm is 963g claimed.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Yeah not sure where I got the > 1000g figure from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimension-700c- ... 1087609154

Spec'd 773g, that's not bad at all for steel. At that price I'm considering to stock one :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com