1x10 question in a "vacuum"

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

justaute

by justaute

If you were running a 1x10 setup, what would be the most versatile chainring between 36t & 38t? I realize this question is dependent on a number of variables and not the least is the rider. I'm a relatively newcomer in CX and will use my 29er to race for now. For now, I'm thinking about doing 38t for CX and 34t for MTB.

Below is additional information.

- Cassette is Shimano 11x36
- Terrain condition is relatively flat and dry (north Texas)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JBV

by JBV

38, no question. 38x11 will probably be big enough for faster sections, 38x36 is a lower gear than you'll ever need for racing 'cross. If you're going that slow, you're usually running.

When I run single ring, I use a 40 or a 42 with a 12/27 cassette, although I'd probably use 11/28 if I had one.

justaute

by justaute

Than for the input, JBV. That's what I did in that I ordered a 38T from Wolf Tooth. Should be a fun project.

JBV wrote:38, no question. 38x11 will probably be big enough for faster sections, 38x36 is a lower gear than you'll ever need for racing 'cross. If you're going that slow, you're usually running.

When I run single ring, I use a 40 or a 42 with a 12/27 cassette, although I'd probably use 11/28 if I had one.